Downtown hotels

I stayed at a Courtyard in DC area a few months back that had one of those really strange sofas in it.

4 Likes

The Courtyard by Marriott looks like the architects drew inspiration from the Wake County Justice Center.

4 Likes

And the mystery is solved, though I did vomit a little bit in my mouth!

1 Like

Sofa was strange and hard to set on due to curved back. That light in corner kind of looks like some sort of attack dord from Star Wars. At lease the ones in the bedroom were more normal looking so did not have to worry about being attacked in sleep.

1 Like

And you had a picture of it! What a forum we have!

7 Likes

Yep took pic cause I thought the decor was kind of strange.

3 Likes

The hotel next to McDonalds on Wilmington street was just posted to the wire.
Called the Home2+TruRaleigh. Says 12 stories and 190 hotel rooms.
Back to the parking discussion :
Required parking : 95
Provided parking : 184
Im having trouble uploading the image at the moment

9 Likes

That’s part of the Hilton chain.

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/367

The architect is DudaPaine. I’m not very good at interpreting design drawings but from my uninitiated eye it may be an attractive project. Everybody’s grandma says we need more hotel rooms downtown. Bring it on!!

2 Likes

4 Likes

1 Like

Looks like any of the sweet storage unit buildings we have around town. I suppose that, in a way, this will also be a temporary storage unit for people.

7 Likes

This building actually has windows. I think it’s unfortunate that the architects chose how to delineate the glazing in their elevations, but I have a lot of trust in the firm. They do good work.

1 Like

I think the tru hilton is a fresh new take on hospitality and we should have it downtown. Also the engineer is promising…
A step in the right direction yet nobody has proposed a larger and/or higher end hotel in downtown yet

Meanwhile plans on the Westin in Brier Creek are moving ahead
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/07/31/with-55-million-hotel-triangle-developer-cements.html

5 Likes

Thanks for the link. That building has some pretty decent flair to fancy it up.

2 Likes

Its got a big fork on top of it.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be nice if the city gave developers as much grief for not maximizing their parcels per the UDO as they do when a developer wants to exceed it?
This new hotel project is proposed to go 7 floors in a DX12 zone. :facepunch:t3:

9 Likes

What is the base like? This is showing the top half of the building. Is the base parking? That would be absurd. Or is it the other brand?

The elevations above do not show the bottom five levels. I assume the first level is the lobby and the second through the fourth levels are parking.
The top floor is labelled Level 12.

2 Likes

@NYCRDU @Alan Correct. 2-5 is parking :expressionless:

4 Likes