Downtown hotels

They’re excited about the trajectory of the Moore Square District? Are they planning a third downtown project because their two sites in downtown are nowhere near Moore Square.

1 Like

It would only make sense- there is a gravel surface lot immediately next to the Hair Curler, along Dawson

That Stronachs Alley/S Wilmington site they bought is reasonably close.

So much happening I can’t keep them straight. Isn’t the S Wilmington one where they’re building the hotel / apartment combo?

1 Like

That’s the one in the huge surface lot behind Lincoln Theatre

2 Likes

Imaps shows both the hotel and lot are owned by Hillsborough Owner LLC, with an address of 520 W 27th Street, NY, NY, was deeded the property November 3. I’m more curious about the lot. I don’t think they’d knock down the hotel so the most they can do is probably improve the facade

1 Like

Do you mean the Acorn/Marriott? That’s 415 S. Blount through to Person St.

1 Like

Yes. Not sure why I was thinking it was this lot

They’re on catty-corner blocks from each other - easy mistake!

1 Like

I’ve heard murmurings of a Kimpton going in at 300 Hillsborough - assumedly in the parking lot right next to the circular Holiday Inn or could be the reason for the recent ownership transition of the HI :thinking:. There might be a mix up in the stated address, but just throwing it out into the ether here…and also curious if that rumor is circulating??

Feel free to merge with other relevant threads, just hadn’t seen a related topic yet.

26 Likes

A Kimpton would be a huge win for Raleigh. Rumor or not, I’m pulling for it to happen. Thanks for the post!

5 Likes

Wow, great first post, welcome!

A Kimpton would be a huge deal for downtown. Would love to see that!

7 Likes

*has to ashamedly look up Kimpton

Oh, wow That’d be a nice get for Raleigh.

12 Likes

I feel Raleigh is severely lacking in ‘boutique’ hotels compared to the cities we like to compare ourselves against (Austin, Charlotte, and Nashville’s of the world). Hell even other NC cities like Durham, Greensboro, and Asheville have a leg up on us in that regard. I do feel there would be a market for a boutique hotel here.

I saw some people on my social media timelines stayed at Bottleworks hotel in Indianapolis for the college football national championship a couple weeks back. Apparently use to be a huge Coca Cola bottling facility back in the 1920s

11 Likes

Kimpton converted the Reynolds Building in Winston into a boutique hotel. I haven’t been since it was converted from the office building. My mom and stepmom (and many others I have known) all worked in the Reynolds Building when I was growing up. I frequently went to have lunch with my mom in the Reynolds Building during my teenage years and have many fond memories of the building and the interesting people I met on those visits. (A future RJR VP told us a story one day of his mom trying to wake him and his siblings up for school when he was a kid. It was hilarious!!) I was very sad to see the company sell their namesake headquarters building, but I have heard that the hotel conversion is very nice.

9 Likes

Hard agree on this. A good boutique hotel works with the bones of what was already there and, as a result, manages to enhance the character of the neighborhood. It’s nice that we’re getting another downtown hotel, but that Hilton Garden Inn is going to be another cookie-cutter stay that doesn’t really contribute anything beyond additional rooms and the removal of a vacant lot (both good and necessary things, but it’s just… boring).

On the flipside, The Durham Hotel is an attraction. Both visitors and locals want to stay there, drink there, even just see the inside. I know several people who have done “staycations” there. I think the closest thing we have to that is the Longleaf Hotel (which I’m a huge fan of, personally), but it’s unfortunately trapped in the least interesting part of downtown. Even a couple more solid boutique hotels could really capture a new crowd of visitors.

10 Likes

Only a matter of time for Raleigh to up-level our hospitality game, IMO…and from what i’ve heard, this project is bringing in some very reputable NYC based design firm(s), so I’m hopeful it’s going to be very well done with an eye towards experience.

14 Likes

I stayed in that Kimpton about five years ago. Nice rooms and excellent service. They even called the morning of my checkin day to ask if there was anything I would need when I arrived.

5 Likes

Same lol

12 characte

1 Like

lol…same

looks great! I really thought the Sir Walter would be an absolute perfect boutique hotel if done properly. Oh well

6 Likes