Downtown hotels

That’s a great rumor. Hope it is true. I’ve been to the rooftop bar at the one in Charlotte and it is really nice.

1 Like

Nothing much to add beyond this being terrific for the city - and given Kimpton’s strong footprint in medium-sized cities it’s about time they landed in the Triangle (and Raleigh specifically).

2 Likes

I’ve been very curious since the Holiday Inn and the parking next to it were bought, whether the Holiday Inn will be coming down or not. Would seem kind of strange to put a new hotel directly next to it.

As sad as some people would be to see it go, the idea of having it imploded someday would definitely be something to see. I’d take off work and grab a lawn chair to watch.

Just speculation at this point, who knows? (And if you do know, tell me please!)

3 Likes

You know as much as I do now! :slight_smile: No clue if it’s intended to be a ground-up build, repurposing, or a mixture. Not sure if the HI is even salvageable, but with deep enough pockets, could be an amazing boutique hotel option.

4 Likes

It’s a NY firm that purchased the lot in October of last year (Tidal Real Estate Partners) for $4m and have a $22.5m loan out on that lot from the same month.

3 Likes

That’s bc it’s cross-collateralized with the Hilton next door owned by the same group, so the deed of trust reflects the total purchase price of all the land. They’d need to re-up for any construction financing

2 Likes

Kimpton would be nice. Again a lot of these projects rely on having attractions nearby and downtown Raleigh has been forsaken by the city for decades so it’s no surprise we’re the last major city with one in NC.

1 Like

The top floor of the Sir Walter, which has been vacant for years, used to be the original capital city club.
It was quite nice and would have made a great restaurant, if it had returned to being a hotel.

2 Likes

Kimpton or Hilton? I’m confused.

I believe the top floor was converted to additional residential units with the renovation that was just completed.

What a complete waste.

6 Likes

I stumbled across this mention of “Hyatt House Raleigh Downtown” in the development pipeline. Hyatt Hotel Locations | List of Hyatt Hotels that are Open or in Pipeline. Does anyone know where this is planned for?

23 Likes

Welcome! And nice find!

1 Like

From that website

15 Likes

That’s the spot that’s under construction right now if i’m correct…

1 Like

Yea that was Seaboard Block A (formerly Phase 1, now Phase 3???)

21 Likes

I thought it’s apartments under construction now, and the hotel was for a later phase? Or am I mixing that up?

4 Likes

I just wanna express how attractive I find these buildings. For being shorter, wood-construction developments, they are 1000% better looking than anything else built/being built under those parameters in Raleigh

19 Likes

The block where Sunflowers used to be.

2 Likes

Isn’t it all on that same block? I always get confused in that area lol

1 Like