Downtown hotels

Seaboard. The hotel was intended to be the parcel fronting Peace st where Sunflowers used to be.
Now, slated to be a later phase after current resi being built there.

2 Likes

That Hyatt House in the West Loop / Fulton Market is pretty nice. That’s an 'upgraded amenities ’ hotel, similar to the AC recently built here…will be nice for Seaboard if / when built.

5 Likes

Excited for more rooftop bar action! This will be a pretty nice view of downtown I think.

4 Likes

So do I lol… I honestly stopped trying to keep track of the ever changing plans there. I’m just waiting for it all to get built.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the info. You all are a treasure trove. I was briefly excited this was a new development but it’s hard to be disappointed with so much activity happening.

3 Likes

If this is true, I’m glad they reconsidered the hotel portion because at one point they had scrapped it, I think :thinking:.

1 Like

Oooh! I was wondering about a reflag to Crowne Plaza or Indigo, but forgot that IC bought Kimpton, too. Most of the Kimptons in DC left since that buyout, but they were known for having good neighborhood restaurants. I see that Tidal has built several well-regarded luxury hotels in Nashville and Savannah, which puts Raleigh in good company.

Hoffman also has a Hyatt House at the Wharf in DC. It’s a solid option, with spacious rooms and free breakfast. Mostly great to have non-Marriott choices in DTR!

4 Likes

That Kimpton in Savannah was a nice stay - cool set up with interior courtyard and adjacent to a shady square - not that we’ll get that here BUT perhaps something unique in store on the refurbish front for the haircurler?

1 Like

My Google Alert went off for this article but I can’t read it. Should have a mention of Raleigh in it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2022/01/31/hotel-roswell-boutique-suburbs-kimpton.html

No mention of Raleigh. Just that Kimpton is building in Downtown Roswell. A higher end suburb of Atlanta with a village feel downtown.

2 Likes

Then my Google Alert (or the Googles) is broken. Thanks!

1 Like

Google alert FTW!
https://raleighmag.com/tag/first-kimpton-raleigh/

14 Likes

I wonder what they could do with it to keep the shape but also make the most of the rest of the lot to activate it.

3 Likes

I really like Kimpton hotels. I feel like they keep a certain level of funkiness that will go well with this funky hotel shape. Fingers crossed this turns out as well as some of their other hotels! Can’t wait to see what they come up with.

3 Likes

What an informative article lol! I wonder if they’re just reporting the rumor from us on here…

9 Likes

Can’t wait to see how they report the fact we reported what they reported.
:crazy_face: :upside_down_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

“Get this. We heard—and then confirmed”. Journalism at it’s finest :slight_smile:

Regardless, I’m stoked for that property to get an injection of life and to be done at a quality level not currently available in DTR.

2 Likes

Oh please oh please paint it neon Pink or Dayglow Orange and build a big glass ceiling botanical garden with indoor pool on the empty lot and give Raleigh a big funky Miami Vice themed hotel. This is just screaming to be Miami themed.

10 Likes

While I am not sure that I am up for a neon pink building downtown, I am totally down with the idea that the hotel be styled a la Austin Powers on the interior to match its 1960’s architectural aesthetic. The hotel that comes to my mind is The Standard in Miami Beach. Its interior is somewhat 60’s hippy chic.

10 Likes

Closer to home, the Dewberry in Charleston is a FABULOUS period renovation of a modernist building. This one would be quirkier and a bit less luxe by nature, but it’s a fun start.

4 Likes