Downtown hotels

Seriously? Raleigh is going to get a Moxy? I stayed at the one in Midtown Manhattan earlier this year and it’s a really cool and youthfully oriented hotel brand. That would be a real coup for the city of Raleigh.

11 Likes

Couldn’t NS lease in their ROW until such time that their HSR commenced?

Kimpton downtown and Moxy in Glenwood South are a monster upgrade for lodging options, and good choices for those neighborhoods.

22 Likes

They could, but have absolutely no obligation to. Railroads are notoriously intransigent and hard to negotiate with.

The infrastructure bill allocated $65 billion toward rail. Only a small portion of this has been granted to specific projects as yet. There’s an almost 100% chance that SEHSR gets some money out of this; there’s a decent chance it hits the jackpot with a $billion-plus award. This may be coming down the tracks sooner than you think.

8 Likes

I stayed at a Moxy in Dublin… Fun and funky for a Marriott brand. It should kill it in the Glenwood area

2 Likes

Well, there must be something going on here if this scoping exercise is real.

I stay at them when in Germany, they are reasonable, fun and fresh. You are correct, a young urban vibe.

1 Like

I’m sure ours won’t be this cool (assuming this all pans out) but they definitely have a more interesting and different vibe than our current hotels downtown.

29 Likes

The giant pink bear might be a bit much, but I guess I am not their market, lol

6 Likes

You never know, they might agree to buy another lot nearby. And I would be surprised if it doesn’t have a distinctive design, given the size of the lot.

1 Like

Hahahahaahh, yeah, I see that, they do make a great little Pizza.

1 Like

"Computer, Arch”! said Jean-Luc Picard :rocket: :flying_saucer:

A film-screenshot of a balding Caucasoiin a science-fiction military uniform; he is facing the camera, and looking slightly to its right\ 220x237

4 Likes

I mean eminent domain is still a thing last time I checked so the government could always force the sale of the ROW

States and cities have effectively no power of eminent domain over railroads. Any attempt to condemn a property or easement that could be construed in any way as potentially interfering with a railroad’s operations is preempted by federal law. For example, North Carolina Railroad is taking the stance that the full 200’ width of their right-of-way is essential for their operations, and therefore not subject to ED - and nobody seems to want to challenge them on that.

Even an unused right of way, with the tracks ripped up, but not officially abandoned (like the S-line) falls under this rule.

Now, if a RR owns a random vacant property not adjacent to their tracks nor used for their business in any way, then ok: it’s probably subject to ED.

But literally only an act of congress can condemn part of a railroad’s right of way.

1 Like

So, I was looking at Moxy’s website and I appears as if having one in Raleigh isn’t that far fetched since they have ones in Richmond, Chattanooga, Louisville, Columbus, & Austin.

9 Likes

Another Marriott?!
That said, as a sometime Marriott traveler, I also like Moxy - more than its on-trend limited-service sisters Aloft and AC. Itsy-bitsy rooms and sometimes trying-too-hard decor, but the price is fine and the lobbies are actually somewhat useful for locals (games and OK-priced drinks). Stayed at one in Nola CBD which had a very useful two-rooms, two-beds setup - perfect for traveling with friends who have different bedtimes.

9 Likes

Love the Moxy. The NYC one has one of the biggest rooftop bars in the city. The Denver Cherry Creek one was fun as well.

Spotted a surveyor today on the future Moxy Hotel property

14 Likes

Someone over at Visit Raleigh who follows the blog shared this resource for hotel construction updates. This is a good bookmark to have.

https://www.visitraleigh.com/media/new-developments/hotels-under-development/

Some highlights:

Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh Downtown
200 W. Davie St., Raleigh
This 139-room hotel is planned for 200 W. Davie St. This is a project of CN Hotels Inc. of Greensboro with Overcash Demmitt Architects. Guest rooms at this location feature microwaves and refrigerators. The hotel has a 24-hour food and beverage pantry in addition to a full service restaurant and guest laundry facility. This hotel will occupy a shared site with Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh / Downtown.
Status: The project is currently under construction with a projected opening date of Sept. 2023.

Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh / Downtown
200 W. Davie St., Raleigh
This 111-room hotel is planned for 200 W. Davie St. This is a project of CN Hotels Inc. of Greensboro with Overcash Demmitt Architects. Homewood Suites by Hilton provide upscale studio, one- and two-bedroom suites designed to create a residential atmosphere for extended-stay travelers. Rooms will have a fully equipped kitchen. Amenities will include a pool, exercise room, laundry facilities, 24-hour business center and convenience store, grocery shopping service, and free hot breakfast daily.
Status: The project is currently under construction with projected opening date of Sept. 2023.

Hyatt House Raleigh Downtown
This 148-room hotel located at 18 Seaboard Ave in Raleigh is owned by PN Hoffman and managed by Concord Hospitality. Hyatt House features a public lounge with built-in digital plugs, oversized social sectional, glass enclosed game room and an area that transforms from breakfast room to evening cocktail bar. Suites sport an urban residence design with transparent kitchen cabinets and a multitasking island.
Status : The project is expected to start April 2022 with projected opening date of Jan. 2024.

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Raleigh Downtown
Raleigh
This 200-room, nine-story building has been proposed for 221 W. Martin St. across from Nash Square. This is a project of Raymond Management Company. This will include a restaurant on the ground floor.
Status : The project is expected to start in Sept. 2022 with projected opening date of May 2024.

TownePlace Suites By Marriott Raleigh Downtown
Raleigh
This 138-room hotel will be located at 415 S. Blount St. in Raleigh.
Status : The project is in early planning, but is expected to start construction Feb. 2023 with projected opening in April 2024.

Tru by Hilton Raleigh Downtown Convention Center
This 96-room hotel is planned for 603 S. Wilmington St., Raleigh as a project of Narsi Properties. Tru by Hilton is a midscale hotel brand that aims to serve the value-oriented consumer. This will be a shared site project with Home2 Suites by Hilton Raleigh Downtown Convention Center.
Status: The project is expected to start Feb. 2023 with projected opening date of Feb. 2025.

Home2 Suites by Hilton Raleigh Downtown Convention Center
This 96-room hotel is planned for 603 S. Wilmington St., Raleigh as a project of Narsi Properties. Home2 Suites by Hilton is a mid-tier extended stay hotel. Suites have a bedroom area and a living room/media area with a sleep sofa, flat screen TV, ambient and task lighting. A working wall incorporates the kitchenette and flexible working space. Community space encourages a social environment with gathering zones, pantry, fitness room, indoor pool and outdoor spaces. This will be a shared site project with Tru by Hilton Raleigh Downtown Convention Center.
Status: The project is expected to start Feb. 2023 with projected opening in Feb. 2025.

Kimpton Hotel Raleigh
This 180-room hotel is planned for 320 Hillsborough St. in downtown Raleigh. This will be the first Kimpton property in Wake County located at the site of the previous Holiday Inn.
Status : The project is expected to start Sept. 2024 with projected opening in Sept. 2026.

25 Likes