Downtown hotels

I don’t know that I’d assume that renters make up a large percentage of residents. I live in a Glenwood South condo and most of my building is owner occupied.

Wonder if the city could offer a land swap to entice the Moxy to still consider investing in the area rather than just saying “nope”

9 Likes

My guess is 25% or less. Not sure if 222 has a cap or not.

1 Like

It does, the current waiting list to apply is over a 2 year waiting list. Friend of mine just sold his place and attempted to rent his.

In my estimation, this would probably be the best candidate for a land swap. GoTriangle owns these properties. They are leftover from the failed 2005 rail project.

7 Likes

Just confirmed the lot formerly rumored to be a Moxy hotel (501 N. West St) was held by the same company that has the Creamery development planned. The original plan was to leverage 501 N. West St proceeds to pay down the Creamery property loan. Unfortunately no information on if the new party plans to develop 501 N. West St nor current state of the Creamery development.

11 Likes

One of our favorite boutique hotels downtown is now Michelin certified! Congrats, Longleaf Hotel!

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6FcVYSKuDd/?igsh=MTRkczI0d291ZGl5Zw==

11 Likes

What does it mean to be Michelin certified? Google doesn’t have instant answers for me.

2 Likes

“Plain and simple, a Michelin star is a badge of honor, regardless of how many Michelin stars a restaurant receives (between one and three, with three being the highest caliber). There’s a method to the star rating system—here’s the meaning of each Michelin star.”

Source: Understanding the Significance of Michelin Star | Institute of Culinary Education (ice.edu)

1 Like

Is there a difference between Michelin Star & Michelin Certified? Thats where I’m confused at. Also confused as they don’t really serve food there I thought?

1 Like

The whole Michelin Star thing is the brain child of a car tire company that wanted folks to travel, causing people to need to replace tires more often. While having a star is a really good thing, not having one doesn’t mean that the food/experience isn’t excellent. This is because Michelin isn’t in every market, and it needs to be in your market to even be considered for one. We could have the best restaurant in the world in Raleigh and it wouldn’t have a Michelin star.

6 Likes

Yep, hotels are done differently (and not tied to just cities with guides). Still a big honor - only 13 hotels in NC got it last year.

8 Likes

Yes. Our area doesn’t have Michelin stars, and that’s for restaurants anyways, not hotels. Michelin does also give essentially honorable mentions to restaurants without giving them stars, and I think their hotel thing is similar. Interesting and nice for this area to get any recognition though.

4 Likes

Taking reservations for October 2024
https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt-house/en-US/rduxd-hyatt-house-raleigh-downtown-seaboard-station

7 Likes

Maybe in time for the October meetup??

1 Like

I only hope the streetscape look even a fraction as good as the render here.

16 Likes

Yes, that would be nice! So would the foot traffic. Hopefully things start picking up.

1 Like

I haven’t seen any place in Raleigh hustling and bustling like this render, save for major downtown event days, so I doubt it lol

It looks great in person, and the water features add a unique touch. There’s nothing “closed off” either, it’s just incomplete. Obviously the street activation is lacking when three sides of the Peace-fronting building are closed for construction. Can’t wait until the sidewalks open and it becomes part of the Peace st fabric.

6 Likes

The Tempo Hotel is a fantastic addition to downtown Raleigh, and the upcoming OMNI will also elevate the city’s hospitality scene. However, Raleigh still lacks a true 5-star experience like a Ritz-Carlton, Luxury Edition, Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, Park Hyatt, or Andaz (probably not ready for a Four Seasons or Fairmount). For such a luxury hotel to succeed tho, it will need:

Notable Architecture: The design needs to seamlessly blend Raleigh’s modern edge with its historic charm, creating a space that feels both contemporary and rooted in the city’s character.

Luxury Food & Beverage: A signature restaurant, along with a vibrant rooftop space that can attract both locals and visitors by establishing the hotel as a destination.

Event Space: The property should include luxurious ballrooms and meeting spaces capable of hosting corporate after-parties, upscale showcases, and private events like weddings.

Wellness Component: A well-appointed spa is essential, providing business travelers a place to unwind and locals access to premium wellness treatments.

The OMNI will likely be too large to fit into this niche. A hotel in the 130-180 room range would better align with the expectations of guests seeking an elevated experience, focusing heavily on personalized service and exceptional luxury. Guests at this level value privacy and discretion, preferring a hotel with the flexibility to accommodate unique or specific requests. Smaller hotels excel in delivering tailored experiences, which can be harder to maintain at larger-scale operations.

To elaborate - consider a convention with 4,000 attendees. If we estimate that 3% are executives who prefer to stay at luxury hotels, that translates to approximately 120 rooms needed for these guests. Additionally, many conventions host after-parties sponsored by companies and feature prominent booths that seek high-profile locations to enhance their branding and overall experience which currently no location exist in downtown.

8 Likes