Downtown hotels

A true major league team downtown would help, but we have to solve the Nimby issue first.

5 Likes

If only we knew a developer who can give us such a hotel.
:wink: :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

I’ve always dreamed of owning a luxurious hotel like the one I described earlier. I feel incredibly fortunate to have traveled to many major countries and cities, where I’ve experienced some truly exceptional hotels, and want to bring elements to a personal project. There are properties that create unforgettable experiences and offer amenities beyond what I could have imagined! My early development career included a brief period of developing hotels primarily under Marriott’s limited-service brands and would usually included an owner’s suite at each property.

This hotel (The Fifth Ave Hotel) features one of the most impressive designs I’ve ever encountered, and it’s definitely one of a kind. Its unique architecture and layout set it apart from typical hotel offerings, creating an extraordinary atmosphere that enhances the guest experience. @GucciLittlePig I think you might appreciate it a tiny bit

6 Likes

We’re slowly attacking by the NIMBY virus it’s a long battle. But this November could determine how much progress we make.

1 Like

This seems like a perfect fit for your description…

https://www.hobgoodarchitects.com/ark-royal

3 Likes

Kamala stayed at the Marriott this past weekend. That’s (currently) the best DTR has to offer. Not exactly slumming it but not quite presidential quality either. There’s close to a dozen four star hotels in the region but they’re all outside the 440 belt.

Consider also that:

1. It’s not a good look to be at the swankiest possible spot
  2. Secret service will have their own requirements driving accommodations

Honestly this tells you nothing about the hotel market. Ours is woefully under built, but still.

5 Likes

Call me simple, but I don’t necessarily want our government leaders living it up at 5 star hotels. IMO, the Marriott is more than fine as long as there’s enough security enabled at the site.
The reality is that business titans, celebrities, pro sports, and high dollar tourism & spas usually drives absorption of luxury rooms. While I do think that there is room for some higher end hotels, let’s be realistic. Raleigh is not a luxury brand city. It’s not our identity. We need hotel rooms for conventioneers, visitors and families associated with the colleges and universities, tech industry business travelers, visiting family members of those who live here, people looking to move here, and visitors coming for one of our annual festivals and events. Most are going to want to book more budget friendly brands.

8 Likes

The cost of hotel accommodations for presidential travel is relatively minor in the context of the entire trip’s expenses. Whether the president stays at a high-end Ritz-Carlton or a more modest Holiday Inn, it doesn’t significantly impact the overall budget. Leaders typically opt for five-star hotels due to privacy, security, and the ability to accommodate large teams with executive suites and conference spaces.

For example, if the president and 20 key agents are booked at rooms at a Ritz-Carlton at $650 per night, plus a $5,000 presidential suite, the total would be $18,000. If an additional 50 agents stay at a nearby hotel charging $300 per night, that adds $15,000. For a two-night stay, the total lodging cost reaches about $66,000.

Meanwhile, the operating cost of Air Force One—the Boeing 747—is around $160,000 per flight hour. A roundtrip flight from Washington, D.C., to a domestic destination can easily exceed $320,000, depending on flight time. Additional expenses include personnel costs, ground transport for motorcades, and logistical coordination with local authorities. Altogether, lodging is a small fraction of the total cost of presidential travel.

4 Likes

Does that include buffet-style breakfast?
:fried_egg: :bacon: :bagel:

4 Likes

Admittedly I know nothing about Secret Service operations, but when traveling elsewhere, dignitiaries and heads of state have been known to stay in very nice hotels. They should at least have the option when visiting downtown Raleigh. We don’t need resort-style accommodations like Umstead, but there’s a middle ground – Embassy Suites in RTP and Renaissance in North Hills are both 4-stars. Would be nice to have something of that caliber in DTR. Whether or not presidential candidates opt to stay there is immaterial – just illustrating a point.

1 Like

I want the Presidents to stay at Holiday Inn Express. That makes them smarter.

1 Like

Don’t you know the rule? The higher the price of the hotel, the less free shit you get.

1 Like