Downtown South development

Nextdoor, like Facebook and Twitter started with so much promise. There is a true need for communication platforms, especially. the hyper-local ones. But like all the others it has devolved into something that’s almost intolerable.

The sad part is, it’s not the technology, it’s the people. The companies make money when they get more people posting. The problem is, the strength in these technologies, and where they could provide societal value, is not as people’s daily diary or a place for angry neighbors to air every complaint that they a re scared to air in person. In fact, those that use it this way are usually. those who have no one to talk to in person (and in a lot of cases there is a reason for that). Those people dominate the platform and the platform rewards them or their continued use (with their algorithms).

So what you’re essentially doing is holding up a megaphone to some of the most annoying people in society.

*it’s 2021 so I need a disclaimer. There are a lot of people who are power-users who use social in a tolerable way. Also “annoying” is subjective and some people have issues they didn’t bring on themselves and are forced to use social as a daily diary for mental health reasons. This is not fact, this is my opinion as someone who works in tech and studies social interaction, digital influence, and conversion tactics. Did I cover my bases? I guess I’ll find out in a few minutes. :rofl:

Agree or not, this article should be a must read before you graduate college. They update it every year and I re-read it every year to keep perspective:

ok sorry, now back to downtown south

7 Likes

Wow
watch clip:

Gladys Kravitz nosy neighbor from 60s show “Bewitched”

4 Likes

The Original Gladys was the bomb. She won an Emmy posthumously.

3 Likes

Downtown South Community Engagement is on the agenda for March 2nd City Council meeting .

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

TBJ article on “Phase Zero” to activate space before major work begins. Basically trying to get tenants for existing buildings that won’t be torn down in early phases.

Work on Phase one to begin at the end of this year with first buildings likely delivered in 2024.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/03/16/downtown-south-in-ralegh-has-phase-zero-plan.html

10 Likes

My understanding is a brewery is part of that Phase 0

2 Likes

I could not get the TBJ article . Is the stadium part of phase 0 ?

1 Like

No, unfortunately the stadium is a long way off (if it happens at all). It won’t be part of phase zero, and probably not of phase one either. The article says the developers have said significant public funding is needed for the stadium, and that has not yet been secured.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know . I hate this & this is why I am in favor of Raleigh TIG Tax Fund Funding .

2 Likes

Says first set of significant buildings will be ready for occupancy in 2024.

1 Like

It’s implied in the naming of “phase zero” that it won’t include big things with a financially uncertain future like a stadium…

As for what is in Phase Zero? It’s not very clear; Kane’s only comments didn’t sound like any sort of commitment with teeth -but rather, a stream-of-consciousness spitball of semi-random ideas.

1 Like

I find it interesting that Kane used the term “out there” twice in the same sentence when referring to the DS location. Physically, it’s less than 2 miles from DT proper, but mentally it feels much more distant. I think the current physical environment of DS contributes to that sense. It’s largely open fields, wetlands, and other undeveloped land.

It’s hard for me to see how the space could be successfully activated in the near term. What could be done there that would make people think, yes, let’s drive out to DS to do “X”? If there was better bike/ped connectivity I might be more interested. .

2 Likes

That’s exactly why you can’t be hyped up only about DTS in isolation; you have to keep your eye on the bigger picture, especially how each new ITB project interacts with each other.

If DTS is the only thing happening south of Western/MLK, I’d have my doubt about space activation, too. But that’s not true; lots of other projects in the area are slated to be more mixed-use like South Park or Fuller Heights/Park City South, and then there’s major attractions like Dix Park further encouraging mixed-use and commercial activity. In that context (at least with the Planning Commission documents we know of so far), I’m honestly not as worried that DTS will integrate with downtown proper (or at least, to the developments I mentioned above)?

4 Likes

And a supposed 12 story redevelopment at Maywood and Saunders :thinking::thinking::thinking:

My take from the TBJ article is that Kane is looking at more near term activation, which I think is great. I’m aware of all of the other projects to be developed in the area. And I agree that eventually the combined developments in the area will make this entire part of the city feel more integrated with Downtown. But I haven’t heard or seen that any of the other projects in the area are moving at the pace Kane is suggesting for DTS. The article says they plan to break ground by the end of 2021, which I think is great.

Maybe I’m just being selfish, but as a longtime resident of this part of town I very much want to see more walkable/bikeable destinations for this area. And at 51 the sooner the better. I like this quote from Kane: “That area as we all know is in need of some love, and we intend to give it a lot of it.” Of course many will interpret that as “here comes gentrification.”

@evan.j.bost I haven’t heard anything in a while on the redevelopment at Maywood & Saunders. Wonder what’s up there.

6 Likes

I think it’s important to remember what Stormie Forte did at the CC meeting before she cast her “yay” vote on this. She went and she met with her constituents about it (the ones that live in the area). They are in favor based on what she learned. I don’t know much about her but that move impressed me.

10 Likes

She also strong-armed Kane into bringing 2 of her friends into the deal…Moton being one of them.

She sounds a lot like a politician.

Pretty strong accusation.

2 Likes

Where should the Canes play?

• DTS
  • Current Hockey Stadium Location
  • Downtown Proper

0 voters

2 Likes