Downtown South development

Thank you for the picture! :+1: :+1:

I prefer where they have the arena now, better to have next to I-40

Also, I love all of the greenery on top of the buildings. :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The transit, :bus: :bus: trails, :walking_man: and creek :swimming_man:are awesome!

The big miss here is a HUGE water feature/fountain! :fountain:

3 Likes

Presumably if traffic was bad enough, there could be some kind of "special event use only"ramps on/off adjacent 40, but this is SOCCER not NFL. I just don’t see it being that bad traffic that often to weren’t spending millions of extra $ on 40 access

1 Like

So does Malik thinking he can get MLS after the other city!!! Is irrelevant!!!

looks like the speculators are circling around the DTS site. Article today said some low-end hotel just flipped for $4.2MM just outside the beltline I believe

2 Likes

Wake County Leaders met tonight at 5:30 pm to get a update on Downtown South and the soccer stadium . I have not heard any information on tonight’s meeting .

3 Likes

Which one? The county manager? All members of the county’s Board of Commissioners (which isn’t supposed to meet until next week)?

I get it if you’re not supposed to know about this meeting or you can’t tell us what this meeting is about, but… uh… I can’t imagine why you can’t be at least a bit more specific.

If this is related to the TIG proposals, by the way, we can talk about it in this thread, instead.

EDIT: Just in case, I also looked through the City’s website for relevant-ish meetings as well. I didn’t find anything DTS-related there, but I did find another piece of good news.

1 Like

All the information that I posted was on WRAL Fox-50 News this morning at 8am . Channel 50 just said County Leaders will get a update on DTSouth that includes the soccer stadium at 5:30 pm meeting today .

8 Likes

Anyone who caught this want to give us a rundown?

1 Like

I have not had the time to look for this information but I really wanted to . Sorry , I am very interested in this too .

The Economic and Innovation Development Committee will study in detail, the TIG Tax Increment Request for The Downtown South Project on Tuesday April 27th .

5 Likes

I think the Council kicked this into committee in the past Tuesday meeting, for discussion…?
It was also interesting to see Buffkin provide a quality example to a Cox question about ‘what will these grants help us build for public benefit’ by siting the readiness for a local group to proceed with the pedi-bike bridge across the beltline from Industrial to Bush if the city can go ahead and set the TIG framework / requirements…

10 Likes

Hasn’t Charlotte usa done something like 15 of these? I am sure multiple cities around the country have also done them…So

What exactly is there still “to study”??!

4 Likes

I think Charlotte has done sixteen . I am completely guessing on this UncleJesse , Livable Raleigh Supporters & other people completely are dead against approving this funding & I guess that Mayor Baldwin & the City Councilors that does support this grant are going this route to be safe . Just my opinion .

3 Likes

Sigh :pensive: I wish Apple decided to move to DS.

3 Likes

A shorter time to market would be the Zimmer lot I think. That or SmoHo III.

3 Likes

While we wait to play a game of “Stadium or No Stadium”, how was it that the trio of college football stadiums were never a temporary fix in the eyes of MLS for awarding a team here? They were fine using Nippert Stadium at Cincinnati for the outset for FC Cincinnati and seem to tolerant of NYCFC/Revs not having any plans to building a home of their own. Is the only thing that made Carter-Finley (or, to be fair, Wallace Wade or Kenan) the stubbornness of our local academic institutions?

If MLS can support teams in Columbus and Cincinnati, two smaller TV markets in a shrinking state, then they easily could have added a Raleigh-area team alongside Charlotte. It’s annoying and irksome to see.

11 Likes

Probably because the 919toMLS campaign didn’t include that -or really even bother to involve non-Wake County communities in the first place. As a Chapel Hill resident who admittedly hangs out in Durham more often than Raleigh, I can’t say I’ve seen much attention paid to the MLS bid in my side of the Triangle. Now that I’m thinking about it, I wonder if things would’ve been better if the bid was a regionally embraced effort from day 1.

Also, I’m not sure about Duke and State, but UNC had some legit issues with space. They held many of their football practice sessions in Kenan Stadium since their practice facilities wasn’t shovel-ready at the time, so I imagine that would’ve been a major logistical problem for anyone else wanting to use that space. Combine this with how UNC’s game day traffic ends up impacting local bus and hospital traffic partly due to Chapel Hill’s lack of parking, and I think UNC had some valid problems with sharing their spaces.

1 Like

If InterMiami can play 2-3 years at a glorified High School Stadium, we could’ve played at WakeMed a couple of years. Or even DBAP… There were ways around, it’s almost like our bid was like “hey look, people watch and play soccer here, now give us a team” instead of an actual plan.

7 Likes

I remember when I was a kid the Chicago Fire played a few seasons at North Central College in Naperville on the football field. The stadium was nearly the same size as our high school’s was. I would think there are plenty of stadiums in the area that could support an MLS team for a few years with no problem.

4 Likes

You know that if DBAP was ever an option as a temporary home, Jim Goodmon would’ve done everything to have made the bid a reality. He has the money and on a local level the media clout with the WRAL stations and would’ve had an instant home for the games PLUS a house organ to have pushed the expansion through. Why he didn’t do this amazes me.

This would be no different than NYCFC sharing with the Yankees, albeit on a smaller scale. Unlike NYCFC, it’s much easier to build here and Goodmon would’ve had the motivation to do so.

2 Likes