Downtown South development

Back to renderings, has this been posted here or am I just slow? Saw it on the TBJ article linked the for the Firestone property and it looks like some of the buildings and the stadium have been sharpened a bit.
The Downtown South development in Raleigh landed a 40-story rezoning last year, though with conditions limiting the height.

12 Likes

I wouldn’t get married to any of the renderings. These are all preliminary to sell the vision & build excitement…but i doubt the end product will look like the initial renderings…similar but doubtful the end product will be what you have seen in the drawings.

5 Likes

Just something I’ve thought of, why would the stadium be hidden in the back? Wouldn’t you want it more toward the front or middle as like the focal point and to make ingress and egress easier?

1 Like

Grease trap company? Ugh, they’ll probably end up moving into my part of town with all the scrap metal recyclers. More dirty truck traffic for Garner Rd, hooray…

The stadium is located where it is so that ingress/egress will be on Wilmington St. (although, given the City is targeting this corridor for BRT, and that there isn’t an interchange there with I-40, this doesn’t quite make much sense if they are expecting lots of vehicular traffic) and to separate the stadium from the development. Stadiums are more often than not effectively dead zones in an urban context, so keeping it apart won’t have a detrimental effect on the rest of DTS. The final reason is more aesthetic; Kane Realty wants to have a grand, ceremonial “stadium walk” from DTS to the stadium, and putting the stadium across Walnut Creek lets them accomplish that.

10 Likes

Thinking on it more that does make sense and is similar to the Battery development the Braves have built (totally awesome setup by the way)
Maybe in the future we have some sort of C-D / braided ramps set up to tie Wilmington St into 40 as well.

3 Likes

Thank you for the picture! :+1: :+1:

I prefer where they have the arena now, better to have next to I-40

Also, I love all of the greenery on top of the buildings. :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The transit, :bus: :bus: trails, :walking_man: and creek :swimming_man:are awesome!

The big miss here is a HUGE water feature/fountain! :fountain:

3 Likes

Presumably if traffic was bad enough, there could be some kind of "special event use only"ramps on/off adjacent 40, but this is SOCCER not NFL. I just don’t see it being that bad traffic that often to weren’t spending millions of extra $ on 40 access

1 Like

So does Malik thinking he can get MLS after the other city!!! Is irrelevant!!!

looks like the speculators are circling around the DTS site. Article today said some low-end hotel just flipped for $4.2MM just outside the beltline I believe

2 Likes

Wake County Leaders met tonight at 5:30 pm to get a update on Downtown South and the soccer stadium . I have not heard any information on tonight’s meeting .

3 Likes

Which one? The county manager? All members of the county’s Board of Commissioners (which isn’t supposed to meet until next week)?

I get it if you’re not supposed to know about this meeting or you can’t tell us what this meeting is about, but… uh… I can’t imagine why you can’t be at least a bit more specific.

If this is related to the TIG proposals, by the way, we can talk about it in this thread, instead.

EDIT: Just in case, I also looked through the City’s website for relevant-ish meetings as well. I didn’t find anything DTS-related there, but I did find another piece of good news.

1 Like

All the information that I posted was on WRAL Fox-50 News this morning at 8am . Channel 50 just said County Leaders will get a update on DTSouth that includes the soccer stadium at 5:30 pm meeting today .

8 Likes

Anyone who caught this want to give us a rundown?

1 Like

I have not had the time to look for this information but I really wanted to . Sorry , I am very interested in this too .

The Economic and Innovation Development Committee will study in detail, the TIG Tax Increment Request for The Downtown South Project on Tuesday April 27th .

5 Likes

I think the Council kicked this into committee in the past Tuesday meeting, for discussion…?
It was also interesting to see Buffkin provide a quality example to a Cox question about ‘what will these grants help us build for public benefit’ by siting the readiness for a local group to proceed with the pedi-bike bridge across the beltline from Industrial to Bush if the city can go ahead and set the TIG framework / requirements…

10 Likes

Hasn’t Charlotte usa done something like 15 of these? I am sure multiple cities around the country have also done them…So

What exactly is there still “to study”??!

4 Likes

I think Charlotte has done sixteen . I am completely guessing on this UncleJesse , Livable Raleigh Supporters & other people completely are dead against approving this funding & I guess that Mayor Baldwin & the City Councilors that does support this grant are going this route to be safe . Just my opinion .

3 Likes

Sigh :pensive: I wish Apple decided to move to DS.

3 Likes