Downtown South development

Software bug, glitch, who knows

It also says 6 voters with 8 total votes…

Hahahahahahah, beats me.

You can vote for multiple options. I chose the two not in a cow pasture in West Raleigh.

2 Likes

Ok that makes some sense.

I walk my Lab by the development once, if not twice a day. Water works, the greenway, Penmarc, and Green street to name a few.

In the last 4-6 weeks there has been utility markings and flags appearing. They even mowed the land, 1st time in several years. Most utility colors I know, water, electric, telephone, cable, etc.

A few I don’t know, posts with white ribbon, these are on the land behind Red Roof Inn and Real Deal flooring, picture attached. Also, City of Raleigh has been clean brush on the greenway and I’ve seen Orange ribbons on small trees. Not sure where to look up what these could be. Anyone know what the white and orange could be?

Thanks

7 Likes

Usually orange markings on trees mean they’re slated for removal, and we have some white flags in my neighborhood recently that are related to Duke Energy streetlight wiring. So maybe that?

1 Like

Sometimes the stakes have writing on them. PC for property corner for example.

3 Likes

The lease lasts until 2029, but Dundon has made it very clear he wants a downtown (or downtown-adjacent) arena so he can cash in on real estate around it. Now’s the time to start thinking about it because these thinks take at least a decade to plan out.

7 Likes

Dundon has also mentioned that redevelopment on PNC Arena property as a possible option too. If that doesn’t happen, he will absolutely turn to downtown for the future of the Canes. If neither idea comes to fruition, I wouldn’t put it past Dundon to move them out the market. So let’s hope we make one of these two happen.

7 Likes

Yes, both options are still on the table. And 8 years seems like a long time, but really the decision either way needs to be set in motion in the next 3-4 years or so.

2 Likes

because I know it happened…otherwise I wouldn’t have stated it.

Do you “know it happened” because you have evidence you’re not willing to share to the group? Or because you think there’s a conspiracy theory about abusing the women/minority-owned business (WMB) status to get bid priorities?

(Note: I can see how this can read as me being a dick, but I’m just genuinely curious)

That’s a good point. I was thinking that Dundon would only want to start thinking about it after 2024 because of the early-move penalty in that lease extension contract, but I can see where y’all are coming from.

This makes me wonder about another thing that’s bugged me about the MLB ideas, though: how much is Steve Malik willing to seriously consider hosting a non-soccer major-league sports team in DTS? Is he so invested and wedded in getting an MLS bid that he’s unwilling to think about other primary stadium users?

3 Likes

Mr. Malik first wanted to bring MLB to Raleigh in his earlier years. This information was in a interview with Mr. Malik quite a few years ago .

Yes you are being a dick. And yes I “know” it happened. And “minority-owned” anything has zero relevance.

It looks this could become a court battle for a couple months or year. I honestly never thought this would materialize anyways, but interesting to see how it plays out.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/04/01/downtown-tenant-sues-developer-stay-on.html

6 Likes

As in the whole development?

Yea, the entire development. There is significantly more headwind than support and it continues to get scaled back each time it’s mentioned.

I’m not against the project or the tax exemptions to support it and would really enjoy walking to a game or concert here, but it’s an uphill battle for sure.

3 Likes

Makes sense. I just hate all that vast looking land in what is our main first impression entry point for out of town visitors. I hope we can at least do something but there are some very valid and big concerns by opponents.

3 Likes

I guarantee you that a greasetrap removal company WILL NOT derail a $2Billion + project. It sounds like they thought they had a ‘deal’ with the prior owners but nothing was ever signed and now Kane/Malik are saying "not interested’. Any contracts lawyer or judge will ask "do you have it in writing?’. If they answer is ‘no’ or ‘we had a handshake deal with the previous owner’…they will get laughed out of the courtroom.

They probably just think they can threaten this and Kane/Malik will pay them off just to go away…which they may do.

BUT; a greasetrap company IS NOT going to stop this project.

13 Likes