Downtown South development

Exactly orulz ! You nailed it Sir, so I’m just trying to figure out why when it comes to southeast Raleigh it’s now corruption and extortion? When it’s normal business and political practice.

9 Likes

I think we all know why.

but anyways, @orulz I don’t think it could be referring to a CBA since the rezoning (the only discretionary portion of Raleigh’s development process) was already approved. It seems more likely that he was referring to the negotiations surrounding DTS’ request for a TIG and tourism tax funds which makes allegations of corruption even more ridiculous, considering Kane and Malik are in no way entitled to public funds for their for-profit project.

If Kane and Malik want those funds it is entirely their job to convince the public, city and county that their project will sufficiently benefit the community to be worthy of them.

4 Likes

I have very strong sources but unfortunately no I can’t provide much more detail.

And “no” what i am being told is occurring is NOT “normal business practices”

FYI - for those interested in joining

NOTICE OF PUBLIC MEETING

The Downtown South project will be hosting its quarterly public meeting on November 18th, 2021, at 5:30p. This meeting will be held via the Zoom link below. You are receiving this message because you have requested notice via the visitdowntownsouth.com webpage, pursuant to rezoning case Z-13-20.

Please join us as we update the community on the overall project, our mission, future meeting topics and our first phase vertical projects.

Please use the Zoom link below to join. Note that this meeting is open to the public. Please share the below Zoom link with anyone who may be interested in learning more about the Downtown South project.

ZOOM INFORMATION:

Link: https://zoom.us/w/

Click “Join Meeting”

Meeting ID: 842 5488 8745

Passcode: 468380

16 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Business Relocation/Economic Expansion

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/11/10/kane-realty-plans-downtown-south-park-city-south.html

8 Likes

Sweet! Love the timber office design. Glad to hear some updated dates as well. Was wondering if kane would drop new info before the public forum next week. He’s doing building plans like Netflix series by dropping them in batches.

3 Likes

Mass timber office building!

And a residential building—280 apartments and 14,000 ft2 of retail space:

DTS buildings expected to break ground in Q3 2022, open 2024.

21 Likes

Any clues/guesses which are the first 2 buildings?

9 Likes

Very excited for Raleigh’s first mass Timber building! Environmentaly friendly and just plain cool! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

The article states they will be at the entry from S Saunders St. TBJ mentions three buildings but only goes into detail on 2, unless they were saying 3 overall between downtown south and park south. That mass timber bldg really kicks off DTS with some serious personality.

Edit: added detailed image for building location clarity. Maybe these??

8 Likes

Kane was (apparently still is per my last conversation with my source) looking at Mass Timber for the 2nd phase of the The Platform/Cabarrus Project as well.

10 Likes

Well the height of the office tower has significant decreased, sad case.

1 Like

eh, I don’t know if the heights in the original rendering really meant much in the first place.

These designs seem to confirm my hunch that the masterplan image was marketing fluff, and 10 Design is not continuing on to actually design the buildings for Downtown South, so looking at their portfolio is kind of meaningless. These two buildings are being done by Duda Paine and SK+I. Bit of a shame.

3 Likes

Beginning to think DS isn’t gonna be the existential threat to Downtown that many had feared…

3 Likes

Did we think that Downtown South was going to be a threat? I looked at it as more of a supporting node of activity off of a major thoroughfare that would add value to the fabric of the downtown core and would invigorate some, much needed, development for South Raleigh.

13 Likes

One of the main concerns was this is in a designated Opportunity Zone, which gives tax breaks to investors for projects that, in theory, are supposed to benefit the poor people that live in the zone (OZs are chosen because of the % of poor living there). So part of the debate was whether this was truly meeting the intent of that program. The potential of a Community Benefits Agreement was raised as a way to ‘offset’ some of the displacement impacts (there have been naturally occurring affordable housing units torn down here, but not a ton compared to other parts of the city). But that hasn’t been done in Raleigh before, and usually those are between a third party non-profit that represents the area and the developer, and there isn’t (or wasn’t) a 3rd party community org that had a clear cut interest in the area. So community activists were looking to the city to negotiate with the developer on their behalf (an awkward spot for the city). I’m not sure where it went from there, maybe someone else here does. But the Opportunity Zone designation, and what it represented, was a big catalyst for the conversation.

3 Likes

NOBODY is being displaced by Downtown South!! There are NO homes on this site!!

9 Likes

Not on the site, but in the zone, yes.

2 Likes

Current size of the Southern Gateway opportunity zone. That’s a broad brush.

3 Likes