Downtown South development

Do we need a bruh section? Any debates going further about the merits of public money on a stadium can go in the other, more general stadium thread.

Let’s keep it on topic.

12 Likes

@warrenwalter23 You keep mentioning the WPU event space. A) What is it - I’ve honestly never heard about it and am curious to see what it’s all about and B) Wouldn’t that make WPU, a private institution, the sole beneficiary of public funds?

3 Likes

So here’s some other opinions on this proposed development:

5 Likes

I’ve already emailed the mayor and my district commissioner. Everyone should do the same!

1 Like

NCMA doesn’t need anymore work done :joy:

1 Like

Social media and some forums unfortunately are bee hives of negativity. Those negative and upset about something like this can be as loud about it as they want. Gives the impression that the whole city hates the idea when in reality probably a vast majority would love it.

You should see the comments on Facebook from the N&O article. Sheesh :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

The best parts of that post:

Other than that, it seems like a repeat of discussions that we keep having over and over again on this forum (including crowd favorites whose answers somehow never make it through the grapevines like “why tf are we using public money for private gain?”, “bUt pUbLiC tRaNsIt”, “booo gentrification, y u no have affordable housing”). Interesting to see we’re not the only ones having this kind of conversation though.

Honestly, I feel more like it’s not even that; the vast majority of the city and Triangle don’t know and/or don’t care enough to have a well-informed opinion. Sounds to me more like people projecting their general frustrations about society (housing, taxes, minority rights, traffic etc.) into the first thing they notice about the Penmarc proposal, kinda like those ink blot tests.

9 Likes

Yep I 100% agree. Most don’t know squat. And it’s much easier to immediately be negative about something then doing the necessary work to gather enough information to at least understand the positives.

5 Likes

The people on r/Raleigh honestly suck they all have the same boring opinions about everything. Developers suck blah blah affordable housing.

5 Likes

This may be a good time to chime that I’m happy there’s little negativity on this site. (IMO anyway) I feel folks come at all these projects with a sense of hope and excitement. That’s great.

For others that may not know enough, please ask questions, be curious, be interested. Others will chime in with plenty of reading to help you form your own opinion on the subject. Let’s embrace well-informed, diverse opinions.

Shallow statements with no backing will not be received well. It’s kind of my M.O. of how I moderate comments. Let’s keep it classy.

I think there is a strong argument against using public funds for the stadium. That’s actually the boat I’m currently in until I see more details. If you want to get into that, let’s discuss over here.

13 Likes

Looks like a much of people that don’t know much about anything, frankly. One person complains about no public transportation even though this area will get one of the BRT lines. Don’t even bother with Reddit.

1 Like

Live stream on wral.com btw.

2 Likes

Malik put up poll results on the public’s appetite for the proposed district/project. 75% of people answered some or strong support. (watching live feed now)

4 Likes

Kane/Malik saying it’s all or nothing. No interlocal fund money no project. It’s kind of incredible how the Malik ask went from nothing but land when it was on Peace St to $13 mil per year.
If the community is given a direct share of the profits (not just the nebulous economic activity or taxes increased) I could be persuaded to support use of the interlocal funds. Or maybe if they take a smaller part of the interlocal funds in conjunction with loans, bonds etc.

4 Likes

Could be just the opening gambit. Ask for Mars and settle for the Moon.

6 Likes

I would think it is. If it’s such a great plan I can’t imagine they’d let it go to waste of a couple million a year.

If the city pays for the stadium then the city will own the stadium (right?) and will receive some revenues from the variety of concerts, festivals, sporting events. Not sure what the final agreement that will be hammered out but I serious doubt that it’s a complete drain from Raleigh’s perspective.

1 Like

Maybe settle for ticket, part of hotel room and cities share of sales taxes generated by stadium. That should be WAG 5m a year or so. That also ties what they receive to how successful the stadium is.

1 Like

Some additional unverified information

12 Likes

That’s a great perspective. I always assumed the funds were being competed over between the municipalities, not that there were uncommitted funds even available.

7 Likes