Downtown South development

Everything is relative. The sun is about to burn out, you know

Some highlights:

Breaks ground this spring. Will begin infrastructure work and break ground on the first mixed-use residential project; move in early 2025 and retail occupants shortly after.

Adapting the warehouses and building the music venue will begin a few months after the residential project begins

Warehouse and flex office space in the back; experiential retail will be on the end by Waterworks Street.

Mixed-use office project, The Central Office, across the street from the residential, in final permitting stages. Construction starting shortly after the warehouse construction starts. Located in the heart of Downtown South’s entertainment district. 6-story building totaling 200,904 square feet. First mass timber building in Raleigh. Ground-floor retail and dining space.

In total, this first phase will include 433,000 square feet of office space, 64,000 square feet of retail space, 609 multifamily units and 502 hotel rooms. Downtown South overall will take about 10 to 15 years to complete and will have 3 million square feet of office space, 240,000 square feet of retail, 3,400 apartments and 800 hotel rooms when finished.

Nearby projects: Trammell Crow Residential’s plans for a 348-unit multifamily project off Hammond Road and SoHi, the mixed-use project by Carpenter development that will include restaurant, retail and office space.

26 Likes

“Raleigh will be the place to be in 2038”…!!!
Seriously, nice timeline updates - excited for the progress and kinda geeked for the mass timber building

3 Likes

Will the 14-over-7 highrise/midrise tower (375 units) be part of this first phase? Attached is the building I’m referring to.

14 Likes

“Downtown South will take about 10 to 15 years to complete and will have 3 million square feet of office space, 240,000 square feet of retail, 3,400 apartments and 800 hotel rooms when finished. The entertainment district will be a little over a mile south of downtown and along I-40. The most recent announcement was the large concert venue that will be part of Downtown South with space to accommodate 3,500 people in the main ballroom.”

9 Likes

I believe the ASR has been submitted.

2 Likes

The ASR has actually been approved. I’ll need to hunt down if site permits have been applied for.

11 Likes

“The third and fourth buildings in the first phase of the will be high-rise towers – a 21-story multifamily building and a 27-story office tower.”

Yes, per May '22 TBJ article. I think everything weve heard definite plans of is phase 1.

8 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Raleigh Stadium/Arena/Sports Discussions

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: Commercial Real Estate Effects Post-Pandemic

What do you guys think of this? :thinking:

8 Likes

Love this video! The future of downtown Raleigh looks extremely good and I love this! Especially when I remember when Raleigh’s population was 65,000 people & our nickname was sleepy capital of the south. :heart_eyes: Crabtree Valley was a cow pasture.

16 Likes

I think we keep talking about these live/work/play centers they keep building like DTS, Fenton, and North Hills and they all tout how close they are to downtown…why not focus on downtown?

16 Likes

Parcel size, cost, and opportunity zone

13 Likes

land is downtown is running $15M per acre versus $2-3M per acre outside of downtown so it is a huge difference for developers wanting to save dollars in land and put that into their buildings.

5 Likes

With phase 3 and a possible 4th in the future, Smoky Hollow is about as close as I’ve seen to a DT version. Besides, the Village District is already an older version of this and will likely morph into something more urban in the future.

5 Likes

Yeah, I think there’s still plenty going on downtown :slightly_smiling_face:

But I’ll always take more!

I think the goal eventually is a continuous urban fabric between DTS, Downtown, Midtown, State, Village District, etc

11 Likes

Funny you posted that, I didn’t think a ton of people watched his videos. Davis is a good dude, he was the realtor on the first house I bought more than a decade ago.

He posts several times a month, it’s a good youtube to follow.

2 Likes

We might be seeing the start of some movement on phase one of this site. The existing warehouses along Saunders appear to be vacant now and this morning while driving in to work I noticed the doors have been boarded up with plywood.

9 Likes

That TBJ article from a few weeks ago mentioned Spring for groundbreaking. Was hoping they’d announce it at the next quarterly meeting, but they havent emailed out about one for this quarter yet. Should host one soon since the quarter is almost over.

3 Likes