Downtown South development

Thank you, great report Brian, yeah, can never have enough pawn shops.

1 Like

Will we be awarded shares of these companies based on how much “public tax money” is used.

2 Likes

Jewelry, Guns, &Gold!!!

I was in Nashville last weekend and Bridgestone arena - where the Predators play - is right on Broadway and 5th Ave. The St. Louis Blues were in town for a Sunday afternoon game when we were there. Before and after the game there were loads of Blues & Preds fans hanging out at the bars, restaurants and shops on and around Broadway. All within an easy walk of the arena.

If I were an out-of-town NHL fan with money to burn I would make an annual trip to Nashville for that game day experience.

Bridgestone and PNC arenas are about the same age - both completed in late 90’s.

4 Likes

There’s the possibility that they could put soccer fields in the floodplain. There are limits on fill in the floodplain, but if it was graded out level without increasing the overall elevation it would be a practical use for the land. Floodplains aren’t protected like wetlands and having fields this close to Downtown would be a great amenity. If they were located in area A they would have a great synergy with Dix, the Stadium, the NCSU intramural fields at Centennial, and the greenway connecting all the areas.

CASL and NCFC joined up, but I know that CASL was always looking for additional fields before the merger. I can’t imagine that’s changed. It also looks to me like they’ve removed the goals from the fields at Dix, which were previously rented by CASL. WRAL soccer on Perry Creek is kind of remote so having something close to downtown would be a huge time saver for alot of people.

2 Likes

Just as a friendly reminder to the community, please be thoughtful about how we address people on a personal level. In less than 24 hours we’ve had posts by two different authors on this thread that were flagged/deleted because they used language that was inappropriate for the community. These were replies to me personally so I saw the original posts after others had flagged them.

I publish a newspaper for a living, so I’m personally quite unfazed by getting angry stuff in my email inbox. But before replying please think about how a message will be seen not just by the person you’re replying to, but also by other members of the community who maybe have thoughts they would like to share but don’t relish the thought of getting angry replies from people with different viewpoints and so might decide not to fully join the conversation. The language of those posts just isn’t called for in this community.

The irony is that both of the flagged/deleted posts indirectly referenced the fact that if you don’t like the views being expressed in a post, you have the option of simply skipping over them and not reading them. That seems like a perfectly fine thing to do. As it happens, the post that triggered those angry replies got a lot of positive reactions as well. (And I do greatly appreciate the kind reactions I got from folks.) It’s quite fine if there’s content on this forum that other people like but you don’t like.

17 Likes

Referring to your own posts as the “greatest” of anything is antagonistic at best when you know that a large contingent of posters fundamentally disagree with your views on public funding. Quoting yourself repeatedly is unnecessary unless you’re trying to redirect the conversation to the importance of your own personal views on public funding, rather than on the actual design merits of the updated proposal. Interpreting design changes to fit your narrative doesn’t make your opinions the greatest.

A lot of what you’ve posted is just wrong or unknowable unless you’re actively involved in making decisions for the project. It’s ignoring and oversimplifying the process and effort that a project like this has to go through over the years leading up to it’s development.

Insinuating that disagreement with you is in any way akin to making basic math errors is just insulting. Quoting yourself is repetitive, and at this point in the discussion it seems like you’re just trying to stir the pot and generate more discussion on the public funding issue. It’s subtle toxicity, which prompts the angriest replies and kindest reactions. Polarized opinions generally get the most responses so it may just be the newspaper publisher in you trying to push people’s buttons.

Flag this, delete it or whatever. I’ve muted my notifications so I can exercise the option of simply “skipping over” and “not reading” this thread from now on.

22 Likes

He shoots, he scores …

1 Like

Drop the mic…

2 Likes

I Am So Supportive Of Using Hotel / Food Tax Funds To Help Build The Soccer Stadium Project . Raleigh is way , way past due for a downtown sports stadium as you all know . With a team effort , Public / Private Investment , we can get this super project done . And who knows , if attendance is solid , strong , we may catch the eye of a MLB investor to build in this area .

10 Likes

You ole feather ruffler, you. All in good fun.

3 Likes

Good perspective. We all have to share this little corner of the world.

2 Likes

[quote=“ralboi919, post:1313, topic:1012”]
third N.C.State University was against it being Downtown and since they had available Land[/quote]

Yep, the “Entertainment and Sports Arena” was originally conceived in 1984, the last time NCSU won the NCAA tournament, as a joint NCSU/state-funded counterpart to the Dean Dome. It was sited next to Carter-Finley Stadium because it could share the existing roads and parking. NCSU even held a groundbreaking in 1993. NCSU couldn’t manage the cost entirely on its own; in the process of finagling more Raleigh/Wake tax revenues, the program had slowly expanded to include mostly off-campus events, and eventually the NHL expansion bid hitched on the under-construction arena in 1996.

In the early '90s, its not-downtown location was touted as a benefit to Wake commissioners who didn’t want all of the countywide hotel/meals tax revenue spent in DTR.

8 Likes

Looks like Kane wants some extra height for Downtown South…

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/03/13/kane-seeks-40-stories-for-giant-downtown-south.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

14 Likes

My God. Kane is going to Dominate the skyline from the Southern Gateway to the Great North Wall.

7 Likes

It isn’t clear from the article but is he asking that the entire 133 acres be rezoned to DX-40?
:astonished:

Couldn’t read the article behind the paywall. But noticed the picture they included is the old stadium site on Peace near Capital.

Yep, they used the wrong photo like @Kanatenah said, and the story was light on new details.
Just:

The developers pushing a giant mixed-use entertainment district in downtown Raleigh have filed a rezoning plan with the city that would allow for commercial mixed-use development up to 40 stories.

Kane Realty Corp. has requested the the City of Raleigh rezone the site of its proposed Downtown South development to allow for the high-rise designation.

3 Likes

Damn. Just imagine if we had multiple developers like Kane.

5 Likes

Check out the rezoning request. Looks like it’s generally 40 story rezoning with spots of transition areas with 20 story, 12 story zoning.

7 Likes