Downtown South development

The app still shows the property owner as Alice Penny.
:thinking:

Here’s the boundaries included:

And looks like they want CX-40 for it all:

More granular detail here:

20-story

There was also a neighborhood meeting on 2/19 at Trophy on Maywood with 58 attendees. Lots of questions, nothing jumped out as unusual. Timing of development, how they’d develop wetlands, funding for stadium, building heights, of course traffic. The filing doesn’t include answers, just the questions asked.

9 Likes

Looks like this does not include the RedRoof Inn property :frowning:

Maybe Kane bought Alice Penny too? :wink:

2 Likes

Maybe, if this gets built, it can spur a hotel project that replaces this motel.

2 Likes

Remember that Kane/Malik only bought some of the property so far. I think only the western section. The portion that included the stadium and the bulk of the project has not yet been purchased unless that happened recently and I wasn’t paying attention.

1 Like

I don’t think it happened yet because Um right now there requesting rezoning on the west side for 40 stories. 40-DX on the east side like on the map on top.

It’s pretty typical for a developer to have land under contract, pending rezoning, and only close on the purchase after the rezoning passes. (The contract would include a “zoning contingency” rider and a POA.)

4 Likes

Dang. I really wish the city committed a ton of money to this project. We would be so much better off right now if that had happened.

1 Like

I don’t know Mr. Kane well enough for him to give me any info. on the stadium but he still seemed positive about this project a few days ago .

1 Like

Look guys Downtown South dead… I mean with this the economy a possible recession and NCFC and Courage have done massive layoffs and furloughs it gonna be hard for Malik to pay it off especially if he doesn’t have a billionaire statues like a similar project Seth Klarman is doing in Vegas. Okay he a billionaire who just missed out minorly on MLS 30th spot. Okay Steve should’ve chosen this spots when he first did MLS bid instead of the state, okay because Raleigh has no friends the state isn’t our friend. Starting to regret why I routed it there cause that was a fatal mistake and if he did he could’ve choose another spot. Before Charlotte got it hands on it chosen he could’ve choose the sponsor he already had for Corparate support like Circle K. That would’ve been a great MLS sponsor he could’ve done that once buying the Downtown South properly earlier once Dundon came in all he would have to worry about would be paying the expansion fee since he had private funding and support with John Kane. And now Billie Redmond. Then MLS would already be here and by this time June 2018 when Tepper was getting his hands on MLS they’ve would been far ahead that Tepper would been far too late even with his billions he wouldn’t have made it. And even if Malik was partnering with Dundon he still should’ve had continued talks even when Tepper announced his interest it would’ve made Malik bid alot stronger would made a fiery in-state competition. He could’ve did it on a millionaire status with some Billionaire help but he wasted time focusing on the state which Raleigh is not good friends with Raleigh. Now he’s putting a pro-like MLS similar stadium. It not gonna be for MLS just USL I guess Courage is similar. MLS is never coming to Raleigh and it something Raleigh will never forget this our failure for not caring.

You ever met Kane or Malik?

I know both. I’ll bet you $10K right now Downtown South is happening. Want to take me up on that wager?

12 Likes

Okay but MLS though I’ll bet you on that.

I’ll take DoSo without MLS. If we get MLS at some point in my lifetime (hopefully that’s a good while still), it’ll be icing on the cake.

Gavin, just a suggestion and you can take it or leave it, but adding some punctuation to your posts will really help with readability. Not suggesting everybody’s grammar on here is perfect, certainly not my own, but I do want the readers to be able to understand (easily) what I’m saying. That said, thank you for your participation in the forum.

20 Likes

A stadium can be beautiful and serve a great purpose for USL & NWSL without MLS. See Louisville…

12 Likes

muting this dead horse.

Is it possible to mute a post(er)…asking for a friend…?

Yes. If you click on their name above one of their posts, and then click the name again in the pop-up, you’ll see their status set to Normal. If you click that, you can change it to Mute. I did that earlier this week :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I was wondering why I hadn’t heard from you :joy:

2 Likes

Lol not you. A recently active troll. :speak_no_evil:

I’ll take that bet too. Granted the timeline just got pushed out to a great unknown. Folks don’t realize that Malik is personal friends with Don Garber, MLS commissioner. They’ve served on the board of US Soccer together for years.

MLS got “aroused” when Teppers checkbook came on the scene because MLS is still basically a pyramid scheme for the foreseeable future. Of course they were going to take Teppers billions as a result…Malik clearly doesn’t have that kind of capital and he knows it. He’s in this for the long game.

7 Likes