Downtown South development

Exactly! Also, I might add Kane and Malik both are very smart guys along with the Raleigh city Council and the Wake County Commissioners they all know it wouldn’t be smart to be talking about and pushing Downtown South right now due to being basically blindsided by Covid-19 pandemic right now the project has favor with most forward thinking people in the area, but again our elected leaders and business Leaders know that the haters for the project would have a field day if it was still being discussed out in the open and with people’s pockets hurting it could possibly lead to changes in support perception is everything so kane,Malik and our elected leaders are playing the cards the way it needs to be played by keeping it on the Hush.

8 Likes

I love Your & UncleJesse’s support of this project . This baseball fan would love to see NCFC , The Courage play in a new stadium with The Raleigh Skyline in view .

8 Likes

Okay, Bet??? You got it’s a 10-year bet till 2026 cause that how long I’ll be and there back on the U.S. Soccer board for that reason. But that doesn’t mean anything it won’t be till at least 2023 when there talk of an expansion to 32 teams. Since Garber wants it to be like the NFL, but he also said at the 2019 MLS All-Star Game in Orlando that once there in Charlotte they don’t want another team in the Carolinas but once there in Charlotte, they might be interested and look at Raleigh. Cause they know the Carolinas is a hotbed for Soccer. I could personally be for a Carolina I-40 Derby but again I doubt MLS is coming to Raleigh. And our Hispanic population is bigger than Charlotte and is growing cause of its proximity to farms, agriculture, etc. But that wasn’t the factor Money was… It just about Deep Pockets which Malik didn’t have and when he had Dundon he got weak and gave up after Tepper announced his interest personally I’d think that would’ve made Raleigh’s Bid stronger.

1 Like

Good point! :+1:
Does anyone know how much the CEO of Pendo is worth? :crossed_fingers:
Or Jim Whitehurst (spelling?) RedHat???

1 Like

MLS always said Charlotte wasn’t in the running @GavinLivesRaleigh :woozy_face:

Neither are anywhere close to Malik.

Raleigh has at least 5 billionaires, maybe 6. Charlotte has Zero. Tepper is from Pa & NYC. Malik “may” need some passive investors at some point but he’s not going to pull that card…certainly not publicly until he knows the next round of expansion has Raleigh in it.

1 Like

5 to 10 years from now you mean, and all of Raleigh Billionaires have no interest in local professional sports putting the burden on Malik with a lot of pressure.

I would love Baseball as well and it’s a real possibility in the future.

3 Likes

Maybe… Let see we have some deep pockets investors coming…

1 Like

Blink twice if you can hear me…

1 Like

We are talking in circles when it comes to local billionaires being willing to pony up for major league sports. Every indication is that they are not inclined to do so. The one variable that might change the calculus in the foreseeable future is if the fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic leads to an acceleration of growth in the Triangle compared to other metro areas, and that’s impossible to predict at this point, especially since we are at least three months away from sports resuming in empty arenas and probably a year away from sports resuming with full arenas.

So I gotta ask, what advantage does his personal relationship with the commissioner bring to his chances at a bid? This is all about one thing: money. Even if they were blood brothers, he’ll still be behind anyone with a bankroll like Tepper’s. The other MLS club owners don’t care about their relationship.

And, as for the long game, do you think expansion fees are gonna go down? These leagues/teams are hemorrhaging money with huge payrolls and no games happening. The one thing that can bail them out in short order is expansion fees—huge ones. Now it is possible, to your point, that he could recruit some more investors to the fold. But I have to think that the round of expansion that happened a few years ago—the one where he pitched the state govt land—was his best shot.

3 Likes

That’s what I tried telling him. Relationship doesn’t matter money does, There not friends in business, they are outside of business. I tried telling him that that why @UncleJesse is wrong but ill give him this he’s confident, but besides that I’m win our bet. Cause Malik Net Worth is not Billionaire. All the leagues are.

So there’s a rumor Tepper is trying to convince Malik to sell the Courage. Tepper is arrogant enough to pay a lot more than the team is worth.

Question is whether Malik is willing to let them go…

Unless Malik becomes a billionaire he better invest MLB. If he has to do that shit. I’m pissed.

If Tepper bought them I have to think he would move them to Charlotte to be affiliated with the new MLS team. I would really hate to lose them, they may be my second favorite pro sports team in the Triangle.

Hope the rumor is untrue, or if true that Malik refuses to sell.

Refuse it no Malik I swear to god if he does that it’s over for soccer in this region we just are like the NFL or NBA just little unknown college town we don’t need that, we are growing that would be a huge loss.

Of course that’s what he would do. Maliks key card is the strength of the Courage for his overall bid.

I said money has to do with it not his connection to Don Garber or him being on the U.S. Soccer Board.

Nobody said he said “yes” nor does this have anything to do with Downtown South OR his plan for the stadium(& an MLS franchise)…which is still a plan.

Let’s just say my source is fairly connected.

1 Like