Envision Downtown Raleigh

with the announcement of the rendering plans for a tower at the News & Observer site, along with other projects that are in planning stages or soon to be built, what images can you envision of DTR within the next five years or so ?

2 Likes

I envision two 40 story towers ! One at Mr. Kane’s Project close to Peace St. & one on Fayetteville St. close to The Duke Energy Center ! Hoping !

5 Likes

That would be a cool set of bookends for downtown.

2 Likes

Needless to say, I envision an urban format multiplex movie theater.

6 Likes

Cool… a movie theatre along with retail shops and bars will only get even better, between glenwood and warehouse, it would be awesome to see.

3 Likes

In this example, just the ticket sales are at the street level on the corner. Once tickets are purchased, you go up an escalator or elevator to 2 more levels with the actual theaters. On the two sides that face the sidewalk and pedestrian mall, you have a variety of individual storefronts with restaurants and businesses.

3 Likes

photo1jpg

In the second Pic, I can see DTR be more of mid rise buildings with one or two taller towers of 40 Plus. Like in this pic, it seems like that is where DTR is headed I think, But that is just me thinking loud.

2 Likes

looks like that can fit very well along Glenwood south, a movie theatre in DTR would be a welcoming addition I think.

3 Likes

It’s just a tad bit out of downtown, but I’d love to see Pigeon Branch cleaned up and utilized as a water feature for future development along West and Capital. Like San Antonio river walk, or Carol Creek Park in Frederick, MD.

https://www.cityoffrederick.com/169/Carroll-Creek-Park

8 Likes

I’m a dreamer guys, Sorry can’t help it. love to see this connect from Pigeon Branch all the way towards oakwood/mordecai area.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s a bummer that Smokey Hollow didn’t daylight the creek at all. I’m sure it would have been a huge undertaking though.

3 Likes

Sad thing is that it would have paid for itself over time.

2 Likes

I also wish it had been daylighted, but I’m curious why you say it would have paid for itself? Just increased demand to be on that creek?

1 Like

Full daylighting would have it hook to the west on the south side of Johnson St and displace 510 Glenwood and Glenwood towers. I’m not sure if that’s the same creek or a tributary of it. In any case, iMaps shows it daylighted on the east side of the 510 parking deck to West St., but I’ve never gone looking for that. I have seen it daylighted on the backside of Devon712 or whatever 712 Tucker is called these days. That’s on the west side of Boylan. It continues on into Cameron Park from there.

1 Like

Daylighting the creek in downtown, while a huge undertaking, would have paid for itself over time in the form of increased property value and therefore increased tax revenue. It would also become something of a regional destination, more so than a typical city park. I think higher quality development would have followed as well.

2 Likes

Well, they reconfigured Harrington to go right over the creek where it passes under Peace. In phase 2 of Smokey Hollow, you can actually see in the site plan how they intentionally build around the bend of the creek as it starts heading over to Johnson. I feel like this was a missed opportunity to open it up and utilize it as a feature for the site. But, again, I’m sure it would have been a massive undertaking and a bureaucratic nightmare.

2 Likes

Stumbled upon this picture from Austin’s skyline in 2007. At this time the tallest building the Frost bank tower in the center at about the same height as the PNC tower.

A lot can change in 10 years

7 Likes

Well, it has been 10 years since PNC was built… haha

2 Likes

Looks like Raleigh in 4 years.

While I’ve been researching some of the empty parking lots around downtown (more on that later), I came across this old entry that highlights what could have been around the Blount Street Commons area. This property is still zoned “Planned Development” with the development name of North Blount Street Revitalization.

https://dtraleigh.com/2007/03/blount-st-revitilization/

3 Likes