Fayetteville Street Developments and Vitality

Questions? Is Fayetteville Street failing? If so what can the City,along with a private partnership do to bring it back?

Honestly, loosen restrictions on street carts, microbusinesses, and small performing arts spaces.

Did you know that street food vendor cart permits in Wake co. are only issued to hot dog vendors…?

10 Likes

Since the Red Hat Amp is going away in 10 years I always thought a replacement should go behind the performance art center. Any replacement amp going to downtown south or dix park or elsewhere will just add to the deadness of Faye Street District.

6 Likes

We can’t have just anything being sold on the street. Next thing you know there will be trained monkeys selling bratwurst and the whole street will descend into a circus, besmirching the good name of our fair town! :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

At least the street would be booming with activity then

I don’t think the street really needs promoting. Once more people live downtown and people come back to work downtown, the rest will take care of itself.

5 Likes

You don’t think a 30+ story building with office, condos, and ground floor retail alone will help give Faye st. a 24 hour feel??? Especially with more being expected given the approved zoning of other properties last year?

1 Like

Need more than that, FNB tower has that at 22 floors. Street needs things to bring people in from around the region.

1 Like

Confused as to what “bring people from around the region” means. Maybe nearby Dix Park will/do(es) that??? If we’re referring to “activity” in terms of daily downtown Raleigh activity (people who live and work there) versus things that help bring activity (bars, restaurants, more retail, ECT.) then that’s what’s coming with the NCAE development, hotel + tower development by the city and future Faye st development. Other than the FNB, Skyhouse, and PNC towers , what other significant residential buildings are there in the Faye st. district? Once residential developments are built other things come to cater to that.

Planned and built are 2 entirely different things in this city .

Oh I understand lol…but if I were a betting man, I’d put my money on a project that’s on Faye. St versus any where else in downtown.

Though just off of Fayetteville Street, I think if/when the Nexus is fully built, it will do a lot to activate that part of Fayetteville St and Nash Square. I think Nexus has to be the project I am hoping for the most of any others in DTR. The mix of residential/office/retail/hotel will really change the feel of the immediate area around that block.

4 Likes

As much as I love bars and giving my money to them pre corona. I think the city really dropped the ball by letting so many open on Fayetteville St. The majority of them don’t serve food and are closed during the early parts of the day and don’t open until late afternoon. I think this creates a lot of dead zones and makes spaces seem empty during the day.
For example, Anchor Bar, Paddy O’Beers, Capital City Tavern, Foundation Bar, Coglins, The Haymaker and Issac Hunters.

6 Likes

I agree with this assessment of Faye St and it’s going to take supplemental development around it to leverage other uses in the future. I think end of street development at NCAE likely will help but I too think that the Nexus is a linchpin development to connectivity downtown which Faye St needs.
In the meantime, we’ll all be able to watch how SmoHo creates this leverage in GlenSo…

3 Likes

Not the smoothest presentation, but this is a good illustration of what is missing in most growing cities, especially those like Raleigh without a ton of old building stock to be rehabbed by disrupter and desperate entrepreneurial types.

7 Likes

19 Likes

I hope this is a sign they are going to put windows in on that facade. I like the Martin st side. Its not tall, but its a quality building, or at least looks like it.
Man, could the old Wachovia building use a powerwash or what? lol

6 Likes

Still waiting on the windows…

5 Likes

Windows? Are we sure this isn’t a new pandemic inspired design - tons of fresh air?

6 Likes

You can see the new rendering. It’s better. Give a little credit.

4 Likes

I think this is 209 Fayetteville St. New facade. Forgot to post this yesterday .

16 Likes