Fayetteville Street Developments and Vitality

Dystopian brutality. They should have used that as a set for the Hunger Games.

1 Like

I like our Capitol just fine.

13 Likes

Most State Capitols were built in the late 19th Century or later. Our’s was completed in 1840, 20 years before the Civil War, History counts.

8 Likes

I really like that the Capitol building is pretty much a park and museum. It has a regal quality that only increases with age.

10 Likes

I didn’t know where else to put this, but ITB insider is reporting the city is seeking a contractor to renovate City Plaza which includes complete removal of the fountain and surrounding planters. Not the most impressive fountain in the world, but it’s a shame to loose it.

“The most significant change will be the removal of the fountain and several of the planters, which City officials say have been damaged over the years by skateboarders. Removing the fountain and planters will allow for more event space, and will likely reduce future maintenance costs.”

2 Likes

Just saw that too. Who needs fountains and planters when we can have trash cans and short buildings?

2 Likes

And don’t forget skateboarders. They are apparently more important than the fountain.

1 Like

I know I’m old now because I officially hate all the skateboarders I see downtown lol

10 Likes

6 Likes

And you stated today in another post you are in your 30’s. How do you think you make us folks that graduated from HS before you were born feel?

2 Likes

:rofl: yep I’m as least twice GLP’s age.

1 Like

Probably insanely old. I feel old every day lol :joy:

1 Like

Apparently the fountain is a maintenance headache so I get the argument for just getting rid of it. At the same time, I think they put in such a mediocre fountain to begin with that people didn’t get attached to it, no one is going to protest it’s removal like the Moloks. (which is a superior product)

If we try for a fountain again someday, we need to go big, commit to it running like a champ, so that people see it as a landmark, take photos in front of it. If it doesn’t feel like that, just scrap it then.

12 Likes

Raleigh needs to have a fountain better than Cary’s fountain… Think big!!!

15 Likes

I’ll bet that 90%+ of Raleigh citizen don’t even know that it is there.
Sigh…we’ll never get another fountain unless they can figure out how to force affordable housing into it.

6 Likes

I actually had to stop and think what fountain you guys were talking about. It’s lackluster for sure and embarrassing when you compare to Durham’s signature water feature. :fountain:

4 Likes

Let’s not forget the big fountain at the State Fair Grounds…well fountain wall!

7 Likes

The unfortunate thing about the fountain in City Plaza is that it was supposed to be interactive, yet it quit working shortly after the plaza opened. There are (were?) sensors along the sides that you could use to make the water dance. If that functionally had been maintained, it would probably be more memorable. But without that, it’s really nothing special.

3 Likes

If you want a water feature: Go Big or Go Home…

(The Dubai Fountain in Burj Lake seen from the Burj Khalifa)

4 Likes

We took our kids to play with those sensors when they first opened up City Plaza, but since then I can’t remember it working.

2 Likes