Fayetteville Street Developments and Vitality

In Boston this week, and noticed a simple yet effective ankle-deep pond on Boston Common. Crowded with parents and kids looking for an easy-way to beat the heat. Seems low-maintenance.

2 Likes

Didn’t the new water feature at Moore Square conk out?

…or State’s huge wolf fountain out front of Carter-Finley.
It’s everyone has a signature fountain except the city of Raleigh.

2 Likes

We have potholes that fill up when it rains around here. Families should just use those. They just have to avoid cars.

3 Likes

The fountain in Cary is pretty excellent. It’s on a prominent corner, big enough to be seen by passing cars, and is in good proximity to a major pedestrian corridor. The lighting is subtle and appropriate. The water volume is impressive, and the structure itself has a classic look even if it didn’t have water in it. The noise is like a waterfall which is pretty relaxing, but engaging. I like the scale of it.

I have a 3 year old and since he was about 18 months old he’s loved to go see the fountain in Cary. It’s hard not to see the fountain and have it not bring a smile to my face.

7 Likes

Bank of America has opened up their brand new downtown branch on Fayetteville St where the old Wahlburger’s used to be. I took a picture of the beautiful lobby and smiling bank teller…

7 Likes

Are those sensors something that could have been destroyed by skateboarders? Were they in a position to be damaged by grinding?

2 Likes

This is exactly why after 14 years, I took my business elsewhere. RIP BofA.

1 Like

potholes make like fountains when cars drive into them :laughing:

No. It’s too slippery. You can’t make this stuff up.

Edit: I’m tired of being nice. Whomever the DA is that picked the materials for the splash thingy at Moore Square and didn’t figure out in advance that it was “slippery when wet” should find a new profession.

6 Likes

BonJovi had this figured out ages ago.

1 Like

It’s not like there are proven methods/finishes/materials to address this issue. These splash zones aren’t anything new or innovative.

4 Likes

I don’t think so. They were on the sides of the wall around the fountain, not on top, if I’m remembering correctly.

I think I remember them working within the last month or so. I saw a guy sitting with his legs in front of one of the sensors causing one of the jets to go full blast.
I can’t remember if the fountain does anything between people playing with them. If they could have made it put on a show when there wasn’t any human input it might have been more memorable.

The planning committee just voted not to recommend rezoning for some buildings on Fayetteville St.

3 Likes

The Matt guy makes a good point that will fall on deaf ears of the Council of No. If you are saying No to other places, you are forcing developers to these places.

4 Likes

A better proposal would be to make the entire N&O block DX40.

13 Likes

Downtown’s best fountain, probably.

9 Likes

OMG
:joy: how sad!
But, beggars can’t be choosers😉

2 Likes

It appears a developer may have finally acquired the kimbrells building (and will hopefully soon kick them out). Can’t tell from the article in TBJ for sure because i’m not going to pay for it when I know one of you guys has access and can just summarize it for my cheap-a$$!!!

2 Likes