Fayetteville Street Developments and Vitality

It’s Greg Hatem from Empire properties, I’m assuming he will sit on the property for a while.

1 Like

The property was not part of the recent rezoning up to 40 floors so it’s still zoned DX-5-SH. Seem like it would be easy to rezone though based on precedent of properties next door.

1 Like

MmmHmm. I would love to know what he is up to over on Dawson Street at the previous deep South location

2 Likes

The TBJ article says:

Empire (Greg Hatem) paid $4.3M for it. The sale closed just after 10 other buildings on the block were rezone for up to 40 stories (But not 210 Fayetteville though).

The rezoning request stipulates that the existing building facades facing Fayetteville Street will be “preserved and maintained, including during and after future construction and development of the properties.” But details about any potential development plans have not been revealed.

and:

The property owners worked with the Central Citizens Advisory Council and Raleigh Historic Development Commission to outline protections for the properties. Most of the buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

3 Likes

Here’s the article mentioned.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/11/11/investor-adds-to-collection-of-buildings-on.html

3 Likes

Is there a historic facade behind that midcentury era facade that’s on the building now?

Looks like Empire Properties has finalized the purchase of 210 Fayetteville St.(Kimbrells Furniture)
Although this isn’t one of the recent properties that were rezoned to 40 stories, It is right next door and becomes his 5 property on that block alone.
234 Fayetteville St.
216 Fayetteville St.
230 Fayetteville St.
19 W Hargett St.
“Mack Paul Morningstar Law represented the property owners. After the meeting, Paul said that because many of the properties are so small, any redevelopment would likely require owners to work together or for a developer to acquire several adjoining lots on the block.”
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/11/11/investor-adds-to-collection-of-buildings-on.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering the same thing.

According to TBJ report was build in 1950’s. Guess replaced some older buildings.

Ah…well… I am huge fan of midcentury architecture, but not that building!!! They can blow that out for all that I care & possibly recreate the facade of the building that was there prior to it.

5 Likes

Sad news for Raleigh — Tucker, the Oak City Kitty, has passed away.

Though he moved to Wendell for retirement, the legacy of Raleigh’s most famous feline shouldn’t be forgotten. I hereby propose some sort of downtown monument or memorial to Tucker, the late great feline of Fayetteville Street.

10 Likes

:sob::broken_heart::broken_heart::innocent:

Noticed today that City Plaza doesn’t have the art sculptures up. Has that been that way for awhile? Also, with the fountain being removed, would you say the city is…“watering down” this space?? :laughing:

6 Likes

I am pretty sure that when a forum degenerates into Dad jokes and puns it is required to be shut down.:wink:

5 Likes

Capital Club building, 200 block of Fayetteville st. Has been sold. New owner is going to continue renovations and from comments plans to keep the building, not tear it down for something new.

An interesting comment as to Raleigh-Durham being one market.

“The Raleigh and Durham markets are cohesively married to one another, and the historic architecture and story of The Capital Club Building that is so deeply rooted in Raleigh’s downtown culture in a natural extension of our current portfolio.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/11/25/a-durham-developer-is-thenew-owner-of-this.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

5 Likes

I don’t know if they ever could tear down the Capital Club building - isn’t it designated historic and thus protected?

1 Like

I’m glad to hear their commitment towards keeping this beauty - that kind of ethos is in short supply these days. Like a handful of Fayetteville Street/environ buildings, Capital Club is a Raleigh Historic Landmark. While this does offer some protection against adverse changes, it can only delay demolition for 365 days - which is all the State Legislature allows.

3 Likes

This is why some of us get concerned when historic buildings are rezoned. Historic status doesn’t necessarily offer much protection at all. Many people don’t realize that.

3 Likes

That is really upsetting to learn. If we lose our historic buildings to lame profit-oriented development, we might as well be selling out our souls.

5 Likes

The developer profile for Hem + Spire looks encouraging…

1 Like