Fayetteville Street Developments and Vitality

any type of fitness option down there? i know the wells fargo had a small gym many floors up years ago but not exactly a social workout place. one that could get i guess the bankers and courthouse personnel and lawyers? maybe a downtown running meetup they could offer.

1 Like

Tonbo Ramen one block over is probably the closest match. Two Japanese noodle soup spots in such close proximity would be amazing for us, but probably tough in terms of them each making money.

2 Likes

I think it’d depend on the vibe of our hypothetical udon restaurant.

Tonbo tries to be more modern and pop-y (I mean, there’s manga references all over the walls on their second floor), so it feels less like an Asian dining experience than a modern restaurant that happens to go hardcore on its Japanese cuisine. But udon is very different from ramen; as a Japanese person, my impression of ramen is like eating a big, juicy, fancy burger with a ton of calories and bells 'n whistles. But the image I get of udon is more like having a light, comforting bowl of chicken noodle soup.

If we get an udon place in Raleigh, I think it’s reasonable to see such a place catering to a totally different clientele. The two dishes are culinarily different ball games -and it’s not hard to see the dining experience being that way, too.

8 Likes

There’s a Y on the 200 block. I’m a swimmer so go to the Hillsborough Street one mostly. Else, I’d be there often.

7 Likes

I haven’t used my membership at the Alexander Y in nearly 3 years. I hope that my membership fees are keeping the pool in good condition for you!

1 Like

I was just gonna say that too. Intentional, well done fusion does exist, but usually it’s just a mishmash of generic Asianesque food that people think appeals to Americans, for instance. I’m sad I never made it to Papa Shogun before they closed. Seemed so cool.

I think besides the obvious problem of office workers not being around, as people have already said, is that death spiral phenomenon combined with unrealistically high GFR rents from owners who still think it’s a premier location. I completely agree we need a city-led comprehensive overhaul, not just a piecemeal thing or half measures like new planters at City Plaza.

I barely ever go down Fayetteville St anymore, so I don’t care that much. But I realized one giant negative that affects all of us is that people coming in for conferences and the like…they mostly stay and hang out on Fayetteville St or nearby, and assume this is the main part of downtown. And they leave with the impression that downtown Raleigh is dead with nothing going on. That image competes directly against the image of a booming, vibrant tech and science hub that we are fostering. It would be worth it for the city to realize this and make it a priority to activate the area.

11 Likes

I sometimes think the street serves so many different people that it’s not great for anyone.

7 Likes

Everyone hold your horses.
Highwoods has committed to the revitalization of Fayetteville St.
Our saviors have spoken!

2 Likes

The problem with having handmade udon here is where do you go find the chef that has put in the years of apprenticeship under a master to learn the craft in almost obsessive fashion to make the noodles like in Japan. Ingredients sourcing is another issue but an easier solvable issue I guess.

I feel the same way about soup dumplings. Hard to find the people to make them right. But Din Tai Fung branches in Vegas and LA certainly figured it out. And we do have G58 here that has the best Peking Duck I’ve had outside of Beijing. So I guess it’s possible.

I would say if someone does open one of those Udon places like in Japan. I’d go all the time

2 Likes

I had no idea the selfie museum was already open and apparently it’s been open for like four months. Downstairs at this location.

13 Likes

Where’s your selfies?

3 Likes

I was on Fayetteville street this morning and on Main Street in Zebulon in the afternoon, sorry to say but more people were out on Main Street, so sad. :crying_cat_face:

4 Likes

Well yeah. Sunday morning has always been quiet. That’s nothing new.

7 Likes

My point exactly but should it be that way for the Main Street of the capital city of NC? It should never be more dead than a tiny little 2 block town any day or time. Thanks for making my point.

1 Like

Turning down the free Plensa sculpture from Goodman was a major mistake. They should have asked him to adjust the design to avoid wires over the road if that was really an issue. That artwork would have been a major attraction. His artwork in Chicago is a major tourist attraction.

12 Likes

That was a GIANT boneheaded move for sure and showed the art world how small minded and unsophisticated the city was.

3 Likes

As a comp, most of the main drags in Brooklyn neighborhoods or the residential parts of Manhattan are a lot busier than Midtown or the Financial District on a weekend morning. That’s where people have breakfast/go to church/do morning errands. Pretty standard, even if Fayetteville was humming along.

1 Like

When did this happen?? This makes me so sad we had an opportunity to acquire a piece of art like that and we turned it down?

Jim Goodman donated a $1M Plensa sculpture for the Plaza area of Fayetteville Street when the street was renovated. I don’t remember the year. The city turned it down ostensibly because it involved some wires over the street but my opinion was they should have discussed that with him and come up with another plan. Any way you slice it that was a huge loss for Fayetteville Street.

1 Like

Could you turn a portion of Fayetteville St into a permanent farmer’s market? I’ve seen this work well in other cities. Vienna comes to mind.

11 Likes