Fayetteville Street Developments and Vitality

Of course this is just one aspect to consider. The eastern part of this section of Fayetteville has a decent amount of storefronts but look at it. It’s a big ugly parking deck in your face, it’s not appealing overall and we can see few businesses are interested in moving into these spots.

4 Likes

At the end, they mention that the discussion will continue at council’s Econ Dev and Innovation meeting. I’ve got it on the calendar and may try and go. I’d be interested to see how they prioritize this stuff and hope they can get the “low hanging fruit” going very soon. Plus, larger projects that need more time should also start soon.

Feb 27, 1:30pm in the council chambers. Let me know if anyone can make it.

6 Likes

When Fayetteville Street was bustling in the 50-60s, S&W Cafeteria was located in this closest corner (in the photo) of the current Wake County Building. You entered through the lobby to enter the restaurant. The lobby elevators had operators who closed a gate before taking you to your Durham Life Insurance Building floor. The original safe is still there. Shoeshine guy at the back lobby wall. The attendants and shoeshine guy were all black.

3 Likes

I love all of the energy around providing public toilets. I just hope that they realize that this requires providing them AND maintaining & monitoring them. This needs to be a very thoughtful exercise to make sure that the city provides the best solution. Even porta-potties in key locations as a stop-gap measure would be welcomed.

2 Likes

Honestly, having some thrones put around town would be perfectly fine with me. They can even be painted up. This could be installed sooner rather than going through the bureaucratic process and high expense of something permanent.

4 Likes

Unmanned public toilets will not help Fayetteville. You will need to have a manned toilet facility with time limits.

There’s public toilets at the GoRaleigh bus station. Good luck trying to use the stalls.

Or get get some SuperLoos like they have in Paris, that will kick you out after a set period of time.

1 Like

Yeah, they just need to be careful where they are placed so we don’t get into another Molok situation.

1 Like

This is why I said that the city had to be prepared to install, maintain and monitor them.

Very true. The advantage here is that these can simply be picked up and moved. I would guess one at each square, the Capitol, southern end of Fayetteville for starts. And they don’t have to be just plopped down. I feel someone could sponsor them and dress them up with plants or build a canopy/pergola or whatever. Easy, semi-permanent structures can go a long way.

4 Likes

in a hokie way we had that with the mall. peanut man at the capitol,traffic free christmas fests on the mall, i took zoology and botany classes at the museum of natural history from state students, getting extra credit, in the summer, and afterwards ate hardees and comfortably strolled back to martin st and rode the bus back to longview. 9 years old.

2 Likes

this makes some sense to me. not all convention goers will bar-golf so to speak. a quality space to ‘be a pedestrain’ and mingle and relax with local flavor…get more conventions i guess. i was watching a video of kane from 09 i guess about numerous radiology liscencees at north hills spilling over to the restaurants on the opposite side of six forks. he seemed to notice it.

There was also a women’s clothing store (Mother and Daughter) on the other side. My Mom shopped there. It had huge black and white photo murals near the top of the walls of NC scenes. I spent a lot of time looking at them while my Mom shopped. My favorite was the Wright Bros. memorial.

2 Likes

This section of Fayetteville used to include the beautiful Ambassador Theater, and now includes the beautiful parking deck.

3 Likes

It was a sad day when the Ambassador Theater was torn down. My head almost exploded when a parking deck went up in its place!

3 Likes

I never appreciated it like I should have when I was a kid. I just saw it as an old run down theater.

2 Likes

Summer opening of the new Sir Walter Coffee and Kitchen. The person at the office coffee event at Highwoods is unsure exact opening date but he stated they have all the permits needed to open. With some Raleigh magic I would suspect on the latter side of summer at best.

14 Likes

I am quite curious to see if they keep both Sir Walters open after this one has some time to settle in. They’re just in such extremely close proximity to justify keeping both open, it’s super strange IMO.

Which building is this going into?

555 Fayetteville Street where the old burger joint used to be, B. Goods? .

1 Like