Fayetteville Street Developments and Vitality

If so, that’s right across the street from Starbucks in the Marriott.

I was told that the plan was to keep both open. But, that was a number of months ago. This new one is more focused on food and the other one is more focused on coffee.

2 Likes

Also next to Crema which closes at 3 everyday.

Coffee will only be an option at this spot so they won’t compete too much. The focus will be all day food and drink at the Fayetteville St location.

For all the doom and gloom /r/Raleigh mentions about downtown we sure have a decent pipeline of restaurants and shops to look forward to in 2024.

9 Likes

Wells Fargo will only be vacating 60,000 sq ft of office space out of 550,538 sq ft of office space this tower contains. People are making out that the entire tower will be abandoned. It’s not. The ground floor bank branch will be converted to state-of-the-art office amenities and an all-day restaurant facing Fayetteville is still in the works.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2024/02/21/highwoods-raleigh-150-fayetteville-st-wells-fargo.html

20 Likes

That is good news. Certainly I was one of those who thought they were giving up the whole building.
I like the the idea of a more active ground floor.

2 Likes

A lot of them mainstream media outlets sure made it sound like the entire building was going to be vacant if not mostly empty. I viewed such stories on both WRAL and ABC11. It’s just not true.

4 Likes

I take both networks info with a grain of salt.

3 Likes

Yes. There’s multiple businesses in this building of many small private businesses plus numerous law firms that like the proximity to both local and state courts. Plus the City Club at the top. Last I heard, everything above 10th floor is occupied fully.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Raleigh In The News around the country/world

Raleigh Magazine just broke this story finally, only 6 days after you shared it. Again, this forum has the scoop.

Figured I’d post it here anyways… Basically the same renderings and confirmation of alcohol and food.

26 Likes

I think we should incentivize developers who get tenants in downtown Raleigh, they get a tax credit from the city. That btw could revive downtown, oh and nightclubs.

3 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-09-09/why-america-fell-out-of-love-with-the-pedestrian-mall

With colleagues at Cornell University, I analyzed 125 pedestrian malls from this earlier generation of vehicle-restricted street intervention to better understand why some are still with us…

Sprawl kills: We found that there is a direct relationship between successful pedestrian malls and local population density. Spread-out cities naturally have a harder time supporting pedestrian-oriented retail specifically, and economically vibrant downtowns more broadly, as they tend to be in greater competition with auto-oriented retail in suburban locations.

10 Likes

Did a study really need to be done to conclude this?
Our pedestrian mall failed because practically nobody lived nearby. If we had spent the money on subsidizing housing there instead of returning to the street to car traffic, maybe it would have flourished and we wouldn’t yet again be discussing how to activate the street.

7 Likes

:coffee:EXCLUSIVE :coffee:

Yeah, EXCLUSIVELY late.

1 Like

Can’t wait to turn it back into a mall again in 20 years.

2 Likes

Happy + Hale is closing their downtown location on City Plaza after 10 years. Although they really haven’t operated there since the pandemic in any meaningful fashion.

Here’s the IG post: happy + hale on Instagram: "Dear Downtown Raleigh, thank you for an incredible 10 years at 443 Fayetteville Street. After starting this journey on the street corner with a golf cart and a tricycle, we were lucky to enough to call this 900 square foot glass box our flagship location. We had no clue what we were doing but there you were. There you were with your hearts, minds, and wallets open and allowed us to thrive. We have met countless wonderful people over the years and are grateful to have played a small part in your daily lives in Downtown Raleigh. We grew up here, learned valuable life lessons here, and were able to use this jewel box as a springboard for our other locations and communities across the Triangle. We could not have done this without you. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts. Thank you to our many team members over the years who brought this place to life every day. Thank you to our investors, architect, and construction team who made this space go from dream to reality. Thank you to our landlord, Highwoods, who have been so kind to us, especially as we navigated the past 4 years. As our lease comes to an end, we have decided to move forward from Fayetteville Street in hopes of finding a larger Downtown space at some point in the future. Today, February 29th, will be our last lunch service. This is not goodbye, simply a see you later. Thank you for all of your support over the years and allowing us to chase our wildest dreams. With Love and Gratitude, Team H+H 💚"

4 Likes

They actually have been open again for a while. You have to order on their app, but I’ve gotten to-go several times over the past year and a half.

I’m sorry to see them go. Their food is tasty and healthy, IMO. I hope they do open another location downtown. Tough going on Fayetteville Street these days.

1 Like

IMO this isn’t “open” by my definition. It’s a glorified ghost kitchen at this point. Happy to see an actual walk-up business take over at some point.

5 Likes

EDI Committee earlier this week. I’m starting to watch it now as the only agenda item is the Fayetteville Street plan discussed earlier.

4 Likes