First Citizens Bank in downtown Raleigh

The Holding family still controls FCB right? I can’t imagine they’re eager to contribute to the urbanization of Raleigh.

Yes the Holding family does and they aren’t going to give up control. Their Columbia HQ is right downtown. They aren’t really concerned about their name being plastered on a big bldg downtown IMO. We are lucky they aren’t in Charlotte. They do have their name on a mid rise bldg downtown Charlotte but I don’t know if they own that or not (they don’t have many people in that bldg-my niece used to work in the bldg but not for FCB.

To give some background about my “decamp to Charlotte” IMO we’re waiting for the other shoe to drop regarding consolidation of operations between the SC and NC versions of First Citizens banks which merged a few years ago. (NC based in Raleigh, SC based in Columbia).

Those cities are the capitals of their respective states, but Charlotte is basically the capital of the Carolinas (centrally located, too) and a major banking center to boot. If they are looking to further consolidate it is not a foregone conclusion that Raleigh (or even Columbia) would be the beneficiary.

But their conservativeness means they are less concerned with their profile and image than other large national banks and might be content to remain somewhat decentralized like this indefinitely.

2 Likes

The South Carolina bank was purchased by the North Carolina bank. The South Carolina bank was privately held and the North Carolina bank is publicly traded. I would be completely shocked if they ever move their headquarters. At least in my lifetime.

1 Like

The combined First Citizens Bank is headquartered in Raleigh. There is an operations center in Columbia and they own a 9-story building downtown Columbia but most of it is leased out since the merger. The Mortgage division is in Columbia.

1 Like

FCB does not care about downtown or its supporters. I’ll never forgive them for the demolition of their classic downtown building (see previous posts) with promises of a modern classic building. All we got was a vacant lot for years.

2 Likes

Well, technically, you got the tallest building in Raleigh (PNC). I don’t know the history of why they took that building down but I agree that it is a shame.

I think the main reason why they didn’t build the building was because they wanted two headquarters, one in both North and South Carolina.

There might be others who remember better - but this building was planned before inter-state banking was allowed and was driven by other considerations. It was a big deal when they brought down that great old building.

There are a number of memories of what was FCB said they were going to do, why the couldn’t add on to the old building, etc early in this section. Which at 48 entries is one of the shorter ones to catch up on, compared to many others!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do remember that Two Hanover, the Wells Fargo building and the FCB building were announced around the same time. FCB was not going to fill their building and they didn’t believe that they would lease up the unused space with the other two buildings coming online. So, they shelved their project and moved to North Hills.

2 Likes

Can someone clear this up… I know they have a small building in NH. But where is their HQ. I know they destroyed the old one downtown but it seems like they are currently still headquartered on Fayetteville st, in that ugly building. However I had always thought the large operation they had down Hammond Rd was the HQ

The nine story building in North Hills is their headquarters. The Hammond Road location is their operations center. That is the technology division, call center, etc. There is no HQ in Columbia. That is another operations center (mortgage). The ugly building on Fayetteville Street is just a branch with some city offices above.

Further clarification: The Colonnade building they lease up north on Six Forks houses mostly Business Services (Business & Treasury Services). That’s two floors they lease I believe. That was just a need for more space. Then they bought the Colonnade building beside the one they partially lease and just lease it out (for now). They haven’t announced any plans to occupy that one.

5 Likes

How do they give back to the community? Seems like the tennis or golf tournament sponsor type, but not sure.

Huge supporters of Teen Cancer America. Google it.

It an ugly 9-story headquarters I been inside it. It’s like a little cottage I was there a few days before the first day of 3rd grade years ago like 10 years ago. And the people were nice while my dad was doing business I was playing games, doing shot put and o hot rewards like a FCB pen there nice. But I thought yea the could move Downtown here, there also a good corparate sponsor for Raleigh’s MLB team.

1 Like

It a good thought to be in Downtown. I could see how tall there building would be or 121 Fayetteville.

1 Like

It is far from ugly inside. FCB completely gutted it about 11 years ago and it’s quite impressive inside.

3 Likes

i mean’t on the outside, yeah the inside is beautiful

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/first-citizens-and-cit-to-merge-in-all-stock-deal-that-will-create-19th-biggest-us-bank-by-assets-2020-10-16

This is big news. More than doubling the size of a Raleigh HQ’d bank.

17 Likes

That’s cool. Glad it will still be based here.

I wonder if CIT was troubled since it was larger, but First Citizens will be the survivor with 61% of stock of the combined company.

3 Likes