First Citizens Bank in downtown Raleigh

The First Citizens tower was planned in the early 90s at the same time as the BB&T and Wells Fargo buildings, on the spot the PNC tower currently occupies. They demolished the block, then changed their mind and moved to North Hills.

I’ll see if I can find info about this other building. It was residential, not office. Didn’t get far, only envisioned, not formally proposed.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I don’t seem to remember that other tower. I wait with bated breath!

Hey. Check out the old Raleighmsa site. It may be on there.

The render.

5 Likes

Yes, I remember this proposal. 1st Citz really wanted to do something special, or was pushed that way, after demolishing their wonderful, but out of date, building. What a shame downtown lost that building, missed out on this building, and the bank HQ moving to Far North Raleigh*. :wink:

1 Like

Trust me, no one is going to “push” First Citizens to do anything…unless it’s from with-in :wink:

1 Like

The last thing I heard about First Citizens was rumor that they would build a 40 story tower in North Hills.

1 Like

That’s the advantage of being family controlled and looking at the long term - not quarterly reports!

3 Likes

I had heard a “rumor” that the land they currently own in the NH’s area was going to be home to “Corporate HQ’s campus”…but more recently, I saw an article in the TBJ that actually stated they they are now leasing space in a set of buildings further north on Six Forks rd… very strange when you own so much land that is essentially not being utilized?

1 Like

Hmm… What do you think it means?

They bought one of the Collonade buildings recently according to TBJ (six forks). Not the one they are occupying though.

@dtraleigh
Should we have a new “BANKING” thread? Or another thread? I ask as I am wanting to continue the First Citizens discussion, but directing it more toward DTR…

2 Likes

Maybe I’m alone here, but that FC tower was thankfully not built downtown. While I’m not a huge fan of PNC, that thing was hideous.

5 Likes

Thanks for looking out @RobertSanderlin!

1 Like

That rendering would be perfect with Zuul up top and the Marshmello Man peeking around the corner.

5 Likes

I think it could have been a really spectacular building if the design was tweaked a bit — such as by altering the top to minimize the Greek temple/prison rooftop ornament, and improving the street level experience by opening up more windows and doors on the ground floor.

That said, I might be in the minority on this, but I think PNC Plaza is a beautiful, fairly iconic building. It could have been much worse.

7 Likes

I actually like PNC as well. Especially looking at it from the west. That skinnier angle with the spire/hat is great imo.

3 Likes

Call me jaded but I think pride in “family owned businesses” should stop far before multistate banks. Let’s dial it back

1 Like

They are not family owned. They are publicly traded.

First Citizens is still family controlled. The family owns the majority of shares outstanding.

1 Like