Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

I don’t know if this is considered the Iron District, but a developer bought 2 buildings (Applebee’s, Jimmy Johns, Sherman Williams, Papa Johns) on the corner of Six Forks and Wake Forest for 11 million. It’s a bout 9 acres for the 2 of them.

The developer is from Florida and does 4-6 story mixed use buildings and other random retail stuff. They have already done a few decent sized projects of 165-265 units in Charlotte and Durham.
http://www.ramrealestate.com/

5 Likes

None of them a loss. Excellent news.

1 Like

I got an email from the Life Time Fitness in that same shopping center saying they would be leaving at the end of October due to an “extensive redevelopment”.

4 Likes

Had been a member there for years until just recently.

It always felt like they were just waiting to be shut down and moved out based off of how slowly they repaired anything there.

4 Likes

Wait are those properties beside Wegmans?

That’s the shopping center between Coscto and the Wegmans. It always seemed kind of dead to me. Lifetime fitness along with some out parcels like Jimmie Johns, Crapplebees etc.

Will be good to get this redeveloped. This area is key for a more cohesive link between NH and downtown. And there is the announced development at the end of six forks as well.

Next someone needs to buy the lot with the abandoned Kroger and redevelop that as well.

10 Likes

Funny how that place is only like 22 years old or so and considered worn out. After Fran hit in 1996 and destroyed the whole SE corner shopping center (it was still sitting down at swamp level then), it was raised up 10 ft or so, and to much fanfare, the Kroger was built (and Borders Books) along with the shopping center you’re mentioning. It had a Hannaford I think and it was also much ballyhooed, all this a supposed eastward expansion of Five Point’s halo. But both were ahead of their time and I think Hannaford pulled up when the .com bubble burst. Kroger is still here of course and was the dead store alternate for those of us who hated the CV Teet. Just a quick trip down Anderson. Traders Joes, Costco and Dock 1053 finally have pulled that Five Points halo eastward solidly enough for the Iron District to be conceivable. McNeil Pt and Wegmans too. I think the car lots are prime redevelopment parcels now too (even though its all landfills under them) especially with Capital Blvd still sucking all the car selling that direction.

2 Likes

I love the idea here, but I think this area really ought to be known as the Wegmans District from now on.

3 Likes

:100:% It’s my new favorite district.

1 Like

By the way anybody in the know what the holdup is with Iron Works by Grubb?

Another cool detail / potential planning option being considered in the Midtown / St. Albans Study is a waterfront park at Crabtree Creek near the Costco / Ritz / old Carolina Ale House / car dealerships.

Loosely tieing this to downtown… I could imagine something similar lining West St along the Devereaux Meadows Park.

28 Likes

That would be sweet. Do you have a link tot his study?

This would be awesome

1 Like

Can go here to vote for preferred options as well: Midtown: From Ideas to Action - PublicInput.com

http://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/LongRange/MidtownStAlbans/MidtownStAlbansOptions.pdf

http://www.raleighnc.gov/content/PlanDev/Documents/LongRange/MidtownStAlbans/MidtownStAlbansLandUseRecommendations.pdf

6 Likes

The City of Raleigh put a survey on Facebook yesterday. You were given $25 and asked to prioritize elements of the Midtown wishlist (each had a $ value assigned).

6 Likes

I selfishly took that like 5 times when they sent it out over email a few weeks ago. I own property on one of the major cut through streets and want them to implement a “Green Streets” plan to slow down traffic. The stop signs do little. That Waterfront Park shown above was high on my list as were a multi-modal bridge over I-440

4 Likes

I want that park. That looks badass compared to the crap that’s there now. And SoJo/Midtown East (:wink:) would basically spread niceness along this whole area. Too bad I moved from that area 6 years ago when it still sucked. Lol

4 Likes

You better move DT before prices quadruple :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I’ll keep my house by PNC Arena. I love getting to almost hit drunk tailgaters every time I leave my house, plus I get 10 consecutive nights of fireworks during fair season :grin:

7 Likes

I’ve been following the rezoning request of the Sears Warehouse lot on Six Forks behind the Wegmans. The rezoning update says “GNR TBD”. Is this a formality, or is there a chance that this doesn’t go through? It’s crazy to me, how hard it is to redevelop anything here. Even a warehouse and wooded lot directly on a future BRT route and a block away from a recommended light rail stop. It would also greatly improve the pedestrian experience in a place that has no sidewalks, but still actually sees some pedestrian traffic.