Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

The council of no referred it the Growth and Natural Resources committee. I watched this one on the playback. This is where Russ was challenging them on parking (Russ: how much parking are you going to have? Them: As much as the city code requires, sir. Russ: How much is that?). :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Would love to see this rezoned, but it’s not on a future BRT route :slight_smile: Maybe higher frequency, but there is not a BRT route currently planned for this segment.

1 Like

Those car dealerships should have never been allowed to be built along the creek. Those giant lifeless parking lots are the primary cause of the flooding that occurs.

And as much as I love me some Biscuitville, it too should be taken down…and of course resurrected close by!!!

4 Likes

This seems like a smart and attractive solution to the flooding that plagues this part of town.

There is a new biscuitville on western blvd

1 Like

The Biscuitville on Wake Forest Road is always slammed packed.

1 Like

Essentially nothing else can be done with the land fronting the creek on the north because it is entirely landfill. And unlined at that.

Yes…indeed it is. Ahhh…

Everyone drives there on Weg Forest Road

2 Likes

The link are the hoops (affordable housing) the developer for the Sears Industrial Property has to jump through in order to rezone a warehouse and wooded lot along a future high frequency bus route, which is also adjacent to a recommended rail stop. This property was recommended in the Future Land Use map as high density residential 5-12 stories. Why pay for all of these studies if no one will respect them?

2 Likes

Basically saying if they build 500 unit residential building, 32 have to be affordable units.

Seems reasonable to me.

4 Likes

I’d argue that this is exactly where affordable housing needs to be. It’s a good example of EDAT.

Is it common for developments like this to have parking maximums?

It puts an unjust burden on the developer and scares away other redevelopment in an area that was targeted for high density residential redevelopment. There is already a lot of affordable housing in this area, zip code, and CAC. It’s just political bs.

4 Likes

It’s the developer proposing this. In exchange for the rezoning request they are offering affordable housing. They don’t have to do this and in fact the city can’t force them to do this but in order to make the development more appealing they believe that including less than market rate housing to those who qualify…

They shouldn’t have to do this period. The current council has been holding zoning requests hostage for their own social engineering experiments.

1 Like

They don’t HAVE to do it. They are choosing to do it. Providing additional tangible benefits as part of a development is a prudent business decision and provides the city with resources it needs. Having an assortment of housing stock in what is a very small downtown core is essential to having a well functioning and thriving city. Almost every other majorly city does this in a variety of ways.

6 Likes

Not many are denying that AF is a necessity. But, the current process is patently unfair and is haphazard at best. A REAL plan that is focused, fair, and productive is needed.

Tell it to the NCGA then and tell it to the developers who keep proposing AF. People have been complaining about the process but what’s the last downtown rezoning request to get rejected by the council? I don’t remember.

If they didn’t HAVE to do it, why not pass the rezoning? Why prolong it and defer more studies and committees to look at it. I’m surprised by your naivety considering other higher profile projects going through this same game.

2 Likes

The answer as to why it hasn’t been passed yet is simple… I believe it’s because it hasn’t come up to a vote yet. There’s a process and it’s ongoing that’s how things work.

1 Like