Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

Agreed, some sort of pedestrian connection from Ratchford to Hodges is needed. Something like this should be relatively simple there.

Of course there’s also the other long-forgotten missed connection in the area, Six Forks. Which, if we’re talking about building this whole area out to 20 stories or so, we’re definitely going to need it.

15 Likes

Feel better O, kick its ass.

2 Likes

Thanks. So far I’m sick but not worse than a flu. Lots of body aches.

The strangest symptom is the dizziness. Whenever I stand up, the room spins & it feels somewhere between floating on a cloud and being extremely drunk.

8 Likes

I’ve ridden my bike past there many times and wondered what might become of that spot. It was obviously pretty high value.

1 Like

Thank goodness you were fully vaccinated. It could have been a lot worse. Get well soon.

2 Likes

ASR for East End Market phase 2. Don’t think there are many changes. 11 story main building. https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/drupal-prod/COR15/ASR-0107-2021.pdf

Edit with a few of my thoughts. I wish there was more activity facing Wake Forest Rd but I get it I guess, they were limited by the townhomes.

I’m hoping the parts fronting “Road D” are not apartment units on the ground floor but shops and restaurants. It looks like they’re divided like apartment units which would be a huge miss but I could be reading the plans wrong.

Obviously though, this is still huge for the area and I can’t wait to see what’s next for this emerging district.

18 Likes

712 Tucker and the new seaboard buildings have similar units accessed directly from the sidewalk. I kinda like the variation. That north half of that elevation is kinda farther away from the retail frontages anyway. Maybe best to have all the activity close to Whitaker Mill with how it’ll connect to Dock1053, Ironworks, etc.

14 Likes

Speaking of that connection - feels like Whitaker Mill is going to need a sidewalk installed sooner rather than later.

18 Likes

The road seems very wide lane wise. Once all the construction is done, I’m hoping they strip the lanes down to 11’, get some bike lanes in and sidewalks.

10 Likes

Hayes Barton Baptist Church is planning a parking lot expansion that will require demolition of 3 of the 6 houses they own along White Oak:

1 Like

From the Regent Partners website…looks like this would be the SE corner. Looks pretty similar to Smoky Hollow office building.

16 Likes

While they’re not thrilling, knocking them down for a surface parking lot is a real snoozer

7 Likes

I don’t mind apartments fronting streets as long as they have sidewalk access to the front doors (plus porches or something similar). It’s the big blocks of windows that absolutely kill street life.

5 Likes

Can someone put all of the renderings of the multiple developments in 1-3 posts, after this comment, so we can see what the projects in this area will consist of. I keep losing track while scrolling to find all of them.

Until just now, I missed that there is going to be a connection between this development and the townhouse community at Cotton Exchange Court… through one of the buildings. Neat, I guess?

Wonder if the townhouses are holding out to (one day) be able to sell out, redevelop, and be integrated into this development?

Wasn’t there massive pushback against this a couple years back? Just waited for the heat to die down I guess.

1 Like

They reached an agreement to keep 3 of the 6, instead of demolishing them all like originally planned.

5 Likes

Agreed. My wife and I parked somewhere in the vicinity of your photo to walk to bowstring. Not a pleasant walk.

Wow that is really similar! Lol
Fortunately, I like the original so this is fine with me :grin:

3 Likes

btw, on a recent walk, the sign in front of the carson townhomes showed all 32 as sold or under contract

4 Likes