Five Points, East End Market, & Raleigh Iron Works

20 years, millions spent with countless studies, a crosswalk shall be built.

5 Likes

I make that right turn from Atlantic onto Capital every day on my way home from work and I’m terrified for any cyclists who ride on that stretch of Atlantic.

I’m tired of the city just putting some paint on the edge of the road and acting like that’s real bike infrastructure.

3 Likes

To be fair, it was just a restriping that was part of repaving so really not a bike funded project

2 Likes

To the point above - they KNOW 87.5% of their patrons are driving…
It’s up to the CITY to have a plan / structure that makes that % DROP.

**Yes, I know the above % of drivers is more like 97.5%…just being pie in the sky ‘positive’… :thinking:

2 Likes

More “urbanism” that you drive to.
I’m happy to see this happening but I wish it were closer to an already walkable place. Unless there’s a ton more development around its edges on the east side of Atlantic, it will remain mostly drivable urbanism.

6 Likes

The thing I noticed in the rezoning meeting for 2114 Atlantic Ave. was that the developers were only committed to having a bike share station included in the development without any plan to add sidewalks. And basically said that it’s up to the city to do that since there is a proposed expansion for Atlantic Ave.

I think basically every site plan for a property in Raleigh should include sidewalks or it should be rejected.

Why aren’t Sidewalks a requirement?

25 Likes

Cause our city planners, don’t know how to plan a city.

But agreed, sidewalk improvements should be a requirement for future development.

1 Like

The one advantage of this location is that this development is half a mile from the greenway. The city just needs to finish the lanes all the way to the Greenway (and actually up to East Six Forks Rd). There are about 1000+ apartments/condos near Atlantic/East Six Forks Rd which is about a 3/4-1 mile (15-20 minute walk). There is another 340 units coming up near Industrial Drive and East Six Forks Rd (project link). Assuming bike infrastructure gets created and the public transit routes start to pick up, this place will have easy access both biking wise and public transit from North Hills and Downtown. Assuming 3 miles for bus, this would be a 15 minute bus ride (I measured using Route 4 down Hillsborough).

Biking from NH will be tough depending on the rider, but Wake Forest Rd/Atlantic Ave already have bike lanes (I haven’t used those ones yet).

Overall I agree the location isn’t particularly the best, but I would rank it way better than other projects/centers(Hub RTP and Fenton).

12 Likes

This is the first that I’ve seen about those apartments at Industrial Drive and Six Forks Rd. That’s a great spot for some housing. Hopefully the Waterfront District presented in the Walkable Midtown Report comes to fruition and the people that move into those apartments will have an even better spot.

6 Likes

40 Likes

Crane base installed at Hayes Barton Place construction site. Lots of short cranes getting ready to pop up.

4 Likes

Remind me which project that is?

Oberlin and Fairview. Townhomes, apts, high end retirement home .

3 Likes

Ahh, the old Country Club Apartments. Been wondering when this one would start going vertical! I live basically down the street!

4 Likes

2114 Atlantic rezoning to 20 stories deferred to 10/25

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2064?u=oakcityyimby

5 Likes

Since Oberlin Village doesn’t really have its own thread, I’ll put this here: A pair of lots on Chester Road approved to go to R-10 (50ft high):

https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/the-raleigh-wire-service/748/2065?u=oakcityyimby

2 Likes

Spotted it from FNB today, assuming that is where this crane is located.

9 Likes

Damn 2 cranes up at Hayes Barton Place

21 Likes

Don’t think I’d seen this shared - RIW will have ice cream - sweet lovers :grin: rejoice

13 Likes