FNB Tower (Charter Square)

It would be Great…:cityscape:

2 Likes

26 Likes

Is your drone able to calculate its height/altitude? There has been a lot of debate about the actual height of this building. Wondering if you are able to give an approximate measurement.

In your third photo, left of the Wells Fargo tower in the sky. Is that a bird? Is that a plane?

2 Likes

That’s a crow fo sho mah bro

4 Likes

^ Looks like a bird to me as well.

I never noticed the alternating pattern of the facade before, but I really like it!

1 Like

Funny you ask. Here’s a screenshot of where I tried to get even with the top. I launched from the Performing Arts Center parking lot so probably more in line with Fayetteville St than the Wilmington side.

272’

7 Likes

It’s a bird! Maybe a bird shaped drone?

1 Like

Just curious, what do you think the margin of error is? how does it determine it’s height?

FWIW the Progress building is 276’. According to Wikipedia, FNB was to be 286, which may actually be accurate from the Wilmington st side.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s pretty cool that the drone has that info (and that you used it to measure the height).

Definitely a little disappointing since we had heard 316 ft., but once the building was up it seemed pretty level with One Progress, so not surprising.

2 Likes

I’m not really sure. I can tell you that I don’t get GPS sync until I have roughly 10 sats registered and usually it’s in the low teens (13-15). At the time of that screenshot there were 18 and as such the accuracy should have been pretty tight. The inaccuracy is going to be more in the actual ASL of the take-off point vs the base of the FNB building. I could run this same exercise from the parking lot east of FNB (other side of Wilmington) to see what the difference is.

2 Likes

I never thought that the this building was going to visually be as tall as we hoped it would be. It may still eclipse 300 feet if one start the vertical measurement on Wilmington and finishes it on Fayetteville.

2 Likes

It’s roughly the same height as One Progress with the crown. 286’ was given as the roof height, not the architectural height though. Actual roof height must be 256-266.

Maybe the Wilmington st side can account for the difference, but if that’s the case One Progress must be taller than 315’ from Wilmington St, and I’ve never seen it measured that way.

1 Like

So, this one is topped out. I wonder who’s the final judge on the height. Does Raleigh have a new #4 highest?

2 Likes

This is on Wikipedia. Basically showing FNB to being 10 feet taller than One Progress Plaza.

7 Likes

Pics from all angles this past weekend.

20 Likes

Great pictures! Thank you!:+1:
FNB definitely keeps Raleigh’s image as the “Square” capital of the South! Lol :wink::rofl:

2 Likes

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them @nicholas

1 Like

I think Richmond has Raleigh beat for that distinction.

7 Likes

Miami also has a ton of flat top buildings due to the FAA.

1 Like