FNB Tower (Charter Square)

My downtown construction walk loops require that something be under construction. I guess my loop will concentrate around Smoky Hollow for a while but maybe come back to N&O and 301 soon.

9 Likes

While not a building that will make anyone say “wow”, this is a solid building that helps with density. I know some get frustrated with height (myself included) but once we get alot more of these buildings and alot more downtown residents, the tall stuff will come. What this downtown needs more than anything is more and more people.

15 Likes

I hear the ‘think to the future’ argument but I think it works more like a pyramid, where the actual sequence (and probably what you want for a better urban fabric) is you build up in tranches. Get a stable foundation of 6-12 stuff (got that), then build up a stable supporting level of 12-20 (getting/almost got that), then 20-40 will take over. That our two 29 story towers were followed up with 10 years of no office construction downtown (Progress 2 came along in 2002, also hailed as the savior of downtown) is indicative of how over building can end up. I think DTR is right on the precipice (3-5 years out) of seeing over 20 being the norm (like Charlotte or Manhattan).

4 Likes

Did you really just put sharolotte USA in the same sentence as Manhattan?

8 Likes

Sharolotte? Ok, well then!

2 Likes

Well…those are the extremes of places that regularly put up buildings over 40 stories…I purposely wanted t show variety in the examples. I see it worked. Funny they are the two leading banking cities in the Country.

On my commute to work today I snapped this picture clearly showing FNB looking great from this angel

19 Likes

We can still see the red hat!

5 Likes

Look at all that room between the BB&T and the Wells Fargo buildings. Would be great to see a 600 footer and another 500 footer in there. Nudge Nudge.

7 Likes

That’s been an area in which has sat empty of any skyline defining buildings.

1 Like

I’ve always loved this approach into downtown from the south and hated the approach from the north on Capital. I know the ongoing DOT project between Wade and Peace should help somewhat with the aesthetic, but between the City’s laydown yard on the west, the dark, dingy train overpass, the back of the Days Inn/Longleaf, and the State’s abandoned properties between Lane and Jones, it’s awful.

As far as filling in the skyline right between BB&T and Wells Fargo, the only thing I can think of is that 40-story rezoning for the Briggs block on Fayetteville. If something tall was built there, it might actually fill in that gap.

1 Like

It’s really too bad they didn’t go for rezoning for the N&O block/Nexus building. That’s a fantastic place for a DX-40. Even more unfortunately we can’t get a DX-60 or so zoning option. :frowning:

10 Likes

Agree with regard to the N&O site. A 20 story building for that area is another huge missed opportunity. By far the best available lot for our new tallest building. I would rather it sit like it is for 8-10 years in hopes for a better development than to build a 20 story “tower” there.

5 Likes

My initial thought was the same but the Nexus will do wonders to the street level experience and connectivity. Also I think both Acquisition Group and Fallon (at 301H) wanted a quick win with their first project (and not challenge the council) and then go higher on future projects

6 Likes

Well, we actually can as long as it’s no more than 250’ tall?

6 Likes

Good point; also if the core expands to the new downtown stadium area, then there will be lots of new spots for new tallboys.

5 Likes

Ideally, this would be the block with Exchange Plaza and the other one mentioned here, the block with Kimbrells and I’d say really is historic. That hole is probably going to stay empty for a very, very long time.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: AT&T Building on McDowell

Just imagine a 600 ft tower in between Wells Fargo and PNC. Plus a 500ft tower on the lite beside Charter square north and south. The skyline would probably be the best looking skyline in NC.

3 Likes

I agree the current plans with this site are atrocious. I hope this project never happens to be honest.