Food Halls and Grocery Stores in downtown Raleigh

I went to the Publix in…Cary or Morrisville? It looked like a big Harris Teeter. I didn’t see what all the fuss was about. I mean I’m pumped for it to be the downtown grocery store, because it was definitely very nice. I’m curious to see what Wegman’s is like as well, since I’ve never been in one.

I just shop mostly at Whole Foods, and Harris Teeter for cheaper craft beer and normal person snacks. Whole Foods has some of the most helpful and friendly people I’ve ever seen. Trader Joe’s too. Maybe I’ll change my tune about Publix tho when I inevitably start going to the one downtown, since I’m down there every few days.

1 Like

Heathens, all of you!

1 Like

That takes all the fun out of it! I live practically in downtown and driving a mile or less to the grocery store seems silly. My goal is to not have to drive for the daily necessities if possible.

2 Likes

It’s increasingly looking like the best opportunity for that is going to be the NW quadrant of downtown.

I miss Kroger…RIP

2 Likes

Grocery stores have such a strange ability to create undying loyalty amongst their customers.

2 Likes

Yep! That’s still a huge misconception, which is crazy to me as someone who is new in the area. Some industry associations still don’t want to host their conferences in Downtown Durham due to perceived safety issues.

I like my car. It’s nice, it’s climate controlled, it has a good sound system, it’s fast, and I’m in control of my route…

3 Likes

I’ve only been in a few Publixes in my life, but I wasn’t overly impressed. Still, I’d go there any day over Food Lion or Lowes Foods.

I must agree with @GucciLittlePig that Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s have some of the best customer service. Those are my regular shopping destinations (particularly the former) and I’ve always had great experiences there.

But back on the subject of downtown grocers, I think Trader Joe’s would be a great addition to the retail component of downtown. Their stores are compact and can easily fit into an urban form (see their midtown location in Charlotte as an example). I’d love to see it as part of the eventual N&O redevelopment project, but the more I think about it the less likely it seems given the low number of residential units in that part of downtown (though that could and should be part of the project as well). Another possible location could be on the south end of Glenwood South, near 400H, the Metropolitan, Quorum, and other buildings.

But perhaps that would oversaturate the market a bit at this moment. I think the next grocer to enter downtown will still be Harris Teeter, whenever they begin work on the Seaboard location.

I was just wondering about that Harris Teeter for Seaboard… I feel like nothing has happened with that except delays. And I just saw Oak & Dagger is closing in the space that Tyler’s left a couple years ago. I’m starting to wonder if that area is just doomed, or if this will be a catalyst for an overhaul and a real master plan.

1 Like

It’s very haphazard and doesn’t feel like a real “place”. One can imagine it anywhere with its collection of mismatched buildings of varying quality, and its automobile dominant site plan.

1 Like

Does anyone know how the Morgan Street Food Hall is doing? I haven’t seen anything in the press recently either good or bad?

1 Like

I was in there yesterday and there was a good amount of people for 4:30 on a Thursday.

2 Likes

Harris Teeter still plan to go in Seaboard?

No, not anymore

2 Likes

In a way, I’m glad that HT isn’t going into Seaboard. Had that happened, it would have made it very difficult to justify a full service grocer on the south and east side of downtown in the future. Had HT gone there, there’d be a string of 4 grocers starting in Cameron Village and heading east on the north side of downtown, all within a mile and a quarter. The HT there would have been seen as a de facto store for everything east of Capital Blvd.

3 Likes

Maybe they’ll build a Food Lion on the South and East side of DTR?

1 Like

There’s a Food Lion on Raleigh Blvd. where I herd rumors it is getting a renovation, but nothing in years…

It’s still there? WOW, I seriously thought that the space was purchased by Art Pope and turned into one of his “variety” stores? :thinking:
Interesting and good to still have a grocery stores in the area…:grinning:
Although, you are correct, it should definitely have be renovated way before now. :crazy_face:

What would renovating it gain the owners when it’s the only game in town…