Former News & Observer Site - Nexus Office Tower

My neighbor is working on this project and said last week that the developers are itching to get started. Developers are apparently really liking the current market conditions for construction costs.

18 Likes

Makes sense I feel the virus will pass and I feel that the economic fallout will probably effect Raleigh less than the nation as a whole but obviously these are unpredictable times.

5 Likes

Flight of fancy with the bat bug messing with my life. Now that this plan by Bjarke Ingels for 2 Penn Plaza was shelved, that means that somebody else could do a Marilyn Monroe effect.

(Hey, one can dream)

9 Likes

So if this is showing 15 levels, and Iā€™m coming up with 260 ft (600-340), the new renderings with 19 floors would be about 80 extra feet, total of 340.

1 Like

Ha, nice description of the awning. Full marks for cleverness!

2 Likes

Iā€™m actually working on a project in Penn1 (new name for 1Pennā€¦donā€™t ask me why because I donā€™t know) across 33rd street, and it would look right at this from the 9th floor. I wish this was going forward for the view alone. Also, Madison Square Garden looks a million times better in the background of this render than it does in real life.

2 Likes

Can imagine that the LIRR Concourse is pretty hellish right now.

Unless they changed it, it will be around 262 feet I think. It says so in the old paperwork. The overage is due to rooftop utilities. That was typically okay under the old height restrictions.

When did this office tower change to 19 floors? Has it changed?

If you count the floors in the rendering, it is 19.

1 Like

Ok, sorry. I was looking at the parking deck levels were 20 ft. Office levels only 14. So total would be 316 at 19 floors. Iā€™m just speculating of course.

2 Likes

I could live with that. Anything 300ft+ would be welcome here. Or on any lot in Raleigh lmao

3 Likes

My most anticipated project right now. The area around Nash square needs a serious upgrade

11 Likes

Is there ANY word of when this Project is to start ? so far I havenā€™t heard anything at all. not even a construction date. ( ??? ) :thinking:

However Nash has a better look and feel that Moore HAD before they paved it with concrete, sterilized it and decreased its overall use with the dead flower beds. Beer fest was the best back in the day at Moore.

2 Likes

Speaking of, why couldnā€™t we rezone this lot then have a much taller, 30 or 40 story mixed use? Something like the original rendering @maverick333 posted in the beginning of the thread would be game-changing and have a huge impact on the skyline and the area around it. I love the density but wish one or 2 of the buildings had a little more height.

4 Likes

I inquired about this last year. Hereā€™s my post on it.

5 Likes

The last time they built two 30 story buildings about the same time in downtown Raleigh, one of them ended up going bankrupt because they couldnā€™t get enough tenants.

2 Likes

But that was the 90s, and Raleigh wasnā€™t even half as desirable or on-the-rise like it is now, no? Iā€™d think if even just the planned office tower was 25-30 stories, they could easily find tenants. Then the keep the rest of the block as-planned with hotel/apartment/condo/retail.

8 Likes

Raleigh was growing just as fast but all the momentum was in North Raleigh at places like the Forum, Highwoods Blvd and Falls of Neuse between 440 and Millbrook.

2 Likes

I just hope that with the Nexus Tower project get some fire under its belt so that it can at least get the green light as well as construction going.

1 Like