General Parking Discussion

i.e.: Have the Raleigh taxpayer pay for them so people from the burbs and Chatham county can drive in and mooch off of it

3 Likes

All parking in Cary is free. We want everyone from everywhere to mooch off of us Cary taxpayers.

3 Likes

Might actually get some of those empty storefronts occupied. Pittsboro free, no vacancies! Shiiiiiiit, can’t even get married in downtown Raleigh without ridiculous parking fee.

Parking in Cary is so oversupplied that it’s a worthless commodity. That’s not true in downtown.

3 Likes

Parking decks are empty. Make them free!! Make them free! Subsidize it! Business needs more people . Can’t even get a Bojangles there.

i know places are different…when i lived in north ridge just off falls of neuse, to me it was quite easy to bike up and down that road as it had a wider sort of multi use path along it on the north bound side. harris teeter, amantes pizza, bagels, tapas, paint…all within a basically a straight line and crossing at an intersection. i guess that area was designed early or mid 80s? i biked everywhere along that portion. whether it was ahead of its time, im not sure.

1 Like

Have you been downtown Raleigh since the pandemic and work from home? Most of the parking decks and lots are half empty every day. Downtown Raleigh is the epitome of oversupply of parking.

4 Likes

DTR parking decks are free evenings and weekends.

I take it this is a result of the big dip in office daily use. This is a recent thing. Clearly, there’s no need for more decks for awhile.

5 Likes

…and yet… :face_with_spiral_eyes: :face_with_spiral_eyes: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Lots of room in the Citrix parking deck nowadays.

1 Like

Has that one changed for public use? If not, I’d love to understand what it takes cause you have a food hall right across the street. It seems like an easy one to me.

4 Likes

They likely want to keep it empty for potential lease applicants

I was just informed by someone who works for Toole Design that big box stores decide the amount of parking spaces to build based on Christmas parking volume predictions.

It all makes so much more sense given their disregard to parking requirements changing. I know it’s probably a no brainer but that’s one day out of 365.

1 Like

Christmas shopping starts in October and the holiday season is what often makes or breaks major retailers’ entire year. It’s not really one day.

2 Likes

Here is a question to the Forum… I have lived in Raleigh for over 15 years, plus another 4 years previously while in college. As far as I am aware, parking in downtown Raleigh has always been free on weekends outside of special events. Correct?

My wife and I went downtown last Saturday for a little kid free Christmas Shopping. We parked in a deck for less than 30 minutes. The gates were up, no attendant, etc. (Plus parking in DTR is free, right??) so we parked and an ran into Deco for a little bit. Yesterday I got a bill in the mail for $82!!! This is absurd. I could park at the airport for 5 days in economy for less than 30 mins in DTR, which I understood to be free on the weekends. Even if this were a private deck (which maybe it is??) $82 is ridiculous. Is there anyone with the City or a certain City Councilman who could advise WTF is going on? Thanks in advance

$82 to park for less than 30 mins, maybe that is why folks in the 'bubs aren’t shopping/dining in DTR… just saying

Who is the bill from? I’ve heard of scams where people that aren’t affiliated with the parking areas are sending out bogus bills like this.

Parking Revenue Recovery Services, Inc in Aurora Colorado

There are time stamped pics of my car, and YES, I parked there. But this is insane.

Here’s an example of a reddit post on it. Same exact dollar request on the bill too. Apparently, they can’t do anything to try to get it (it’s not the City of Raleigh):

https://www.reddit.com/r/raleigh/comments/173h5l6/fudge_raleigh_parking/

Ignore it. They can’t put it on your credit as it’s a type of debt not accepted by the credit reporting agencies (CRAs). They can sue you for it, but don’t take it seriously until they actually start the process. Source: I have worked with Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and collections my entire adult life.

Do you know which specific parking deck it was? Would be nice to see who it is and avoid/tell others to avoid it in the future. Personally, I wouldn’t pay it.

It was a deck directly across from Deco on Salisbury street.