General Retail/Restaurant News

some of these same restaurants fought tooth-and-nail to keep those as parking spaces before the pandemic. Now that they’ve seen proof-of-concept they’ve changed their tune. Even few months ago Centro was asking the city if business owners like them could use on-street parking for free during the pandemic.

4 Likes

Pandemic’s over…Gettin’ pretty wild DTR.

9 Likes

I was near the Marriot eating lunch and saw this deer. It ran straight into the glass, was stunned for a second, then took off towards S. Wilmington Street.

3 Likes

Never seen a deer downtown. Last year I drunkenly came across a fox near the train tracks over by Tobacco Road as I headed back to my apartment from the bars.

3 Likes

Some would say that car manufacturers / dealerships are financing WRAL through advertisement and that could explain articles tone more favorable to cars than other transportation modes :smirk:.

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Our local News outlets

I don’t think there’s a “some would say” about it. Also good to remember that local news viewership skews heavily towards boomers and that cohort is usually living out in the suburbs/exurbs and would need to drive into downtown to patronize the restaurants. (I do understand this is more a local news post vs. a restaurant post so Leo feel free to move this to the other topic if appropriate).

Was this known and I just missed it?

2 Likes

yeah, closed earlier this year from what I saw.

Makes you wonder what their fate would be if they stayed in the Hargett St location, and weren’t burden with such a large monthly lease payment.

Brunch on a Sunday in their previous outdoor patio in the back was always a good time. Speaking of which we actually had brunch at this location a few weeks ago and it was fairly crowded, I wonder what happened.

They never seemed to flourish after the move to Morgan Street. We went there often and really enjoyed the food. I wonder if the actual setup of the kitchen was part of the problem. Perhaps the dual cuisines (veggie/vegan and omnivore) created issues in the kitchen.

they had major problems there and the service/food took a nosedive after they moved to Morgan Street

I believe the staff walked out en masse either right before or right after COVID started and that was that. Something about unresolved complaints with the ownership. I’m sad to see it go but it was definitely hit or miss.

1 Like

The staff clearly needed a remedy that they didn’t get.

3 Likes
1 Like

Sidewalk congestion will be another focus for the nightlife planner, Schoenfeld said, noting that sidewalks in the Glenwood South district are notoriously narrow and overcrowded, especially on weekend nights.

I’m curious what this means. Let’s lose some on street parking and extend the sidewalks.

9 Likes

This also just sounds like a waste of tax dollars

3 Likes

I’m skeptical as well but then if we want, or at least I want, a 7-day a week, 16 hours a day active downtown then we need to staff like that right?

We’re on track to be a residentially dense downtown, not hotel and hospitality rich downtown. I feel this seems reasonable. Open to others take though.

8 Likes

Community, has the Landmark Tavern closed? Need confirmation.

I think I said this before but Glenwood should close to driving every weekend. Let every restaurant have expanded outdoor seating and let peds etc have a good time

9 Likes