General Retail/Restaurant News

Just noticed the former Short Walk Wines location has some new signage up, and it’s another wine shop! Good spot for one, in my opinion, so I’m glad the space will return to its former glory.

27 Likes

But if … the last wine shop didn’t work out there. … then … why. …would… this…???

The last wine shop owner had a challenge finding a manager. It wasn’t an issue of being busy.

10 Likes

I assumed the scenic ambience of bus station vagrants yelling at each other and sitting in the street would’ve brought in a lot of business, and apparently I was right!

:wine_glass:

3 Likes

Yeah, being across the street from Skyhouse, I think they had a lot of regulars. I went once on like a Wednesday evening or something a couple months before they closed, and the bar was mostly full. Cozy, quiet little spot with a dedicated clientele.

8 Likes

Looks like we’ll be seeing some neon outside this spot as well…

16 Likes

We seriously are so privileged to have Glas here filling up our downtown with so much custom neon…

14 Likes

I still want to see the N Person district become a neon district. Between the Krispy Kreme sign and several business in the area already having neon on them, I don’t think it would be much of a stretch. Somebody make this happen, please.

16 Likes

Well, that “somebody” would be Glas, so we’re definitely ahead of the ball there.

9 Likes

because it has a cute hippo.
:hippopotamus:

2 Likes

Cheetie Kumar’s new Five Points restaurant has a name and a website: https://www.axios.com/local/raleigh/2023/04/12/cheetie-kumar-to-open-new-raleigh-restaurant-ajja-this-spring

11 Likes

Not all hippos are so cute. I will drink wine here with caution. :wink:
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/hippo-attack-avoid-survive-paul-templer/index.html

1 Like

IKEA is opening 17 new stores, with a focus on the South - I don’t see the actual locations anywhere yet. Have to think the Triangle is first in line for one of them.

13 Likes

Gotta think one in the Triangle, one in Nashville, and then some in Florida. Maybe Louisville or some other random southern city?

4 Likes

There’s a ton of land / space out around DTS near an interstate…?

That’s reserved for the MLB team :wink:

2 Likes

You just made someone out there cry. LOL

I’m definitely hopeful for one near us. Or they’ll give Charlotte a second one.

2 Likes

The Triangle has to be on this list. If it’s not, it’s a crime.
Any stories not behind a paywall?

1 Like
2 Likes

Yeah it’s on Forbes also. They mentioned 8 large format stores, 9 “Plan & Order locations, places where shoppers can get advice and help with large or complicated projects such as kitchen or bathroom installations, or other interior design consultations,” and 900 new “pickup locations for online orders, to make pickups easier for customers who don’t live close to a store.”

They also mentioned they closed one of their newer small format stores in Queens, and implied that was more of an experiment that didn’t work well. Meanwhile, they could’ve been earning a ton in Cary with all the people moving here during the pandemic…

8 Likes