General Retail/Restaurant News

It’s not hard to imagine them negotiating to be in either Fenton or DTS.

4 Likes

Is there room left in Fenton? IKEAs take up a lot of space.

For some reason I’m getting strong Triangle Town Center vibes here or maybe Streets of Southpoint?

2 Likes

Supposedly Fenton is going to take several more years to complete. It must have a lot of space.
As for DTS, I see land assemblages that also go south of 40. It’s easy to imagine it there.

2 Likes

If only there was a giant plot of land with a 2 story parking lot just sitting vacant at the Fenton… :thinking:

:grin:

I’d imagine they put it right in the middle of the three cities and the three colleges. Durham side of RTP imo.

I would be surprised if Ikea went to Durham Co. given how they previously zeroed in on Cary Towne Center. I would also be surprised if they pushed northward to TTC and off the main I40 drag.

1 Like

I feel like TTC is too far east for the Triangle market. That’s a heck of a drive from Apex, West Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill. But then what do I know? They opened the one in Massachusetts (when I lived there) in some tiny town as far from any highway or population center as possible. Not sure if that’s still their strategy, but I’m sure it helped the land price for a large footprint store.

2 Likes

Hah, I made the mistake of going to that Stoughton IKEA on college move in weekend. Madness. Made 28 Days Later feel like a meditation tutorial.

2 Likes

We are the largest unserved market in the Southeast. I can’t imagine us not getting a store. Even if we only look at the Raleigh MSA, we are still the largest unserved market.
Nashville and Richmond have pick up locations.
My guess is that the Triangle and Nashville get real stores in the Southeast. Maybe New Orleans gets one as well?

1 Like

This isn’t at all relevant to this topic, but your comment made me curious. Wow the New Orleans metro is a lot smaller than I would’ve guessed.

2 Likes

Katrina sent them on a downward spiral.
I think that most folks would be shocked to learn that the Raleigh MSA alone is larger than the MSAs for New Orleans, Memphis, Richmond, and Louisville.

2 Likes

Plus no company in their right mind would choose to set up shop in Louisiana with their endemic corruption and bonkers French legal system. So they skate by on history, tourism, energy, and any business that happens to get founded by a native Louisianan.

Yeah I mentioned the TTC because 540 could drop them off right there for all the SW Wake county folks. Plus US 1 could bring in the Wake Forest folks. Not too far for the ITB people if they really wanna journey for it. Plus that’d give the TTC-area a real shot of life?

3 Likes

I’m sure someone from Cary Economic Development team, once they see the article will reach out to them as a reminder that they were once considered for a store location.

2 Likes

After Cary made them jump through hoops to use their standard colors and not a bluish shade of beige, tan, or brick? If I was IKEA I’d tell them to schmorg their borg right up their worg

4 Likes

Anyone know if any progress has been made for the Italian Restaurant rooftop concept at The Dillon?

2 Likes

No, but I can guess: No.

3 Likes

Maybe Highwoods can donate a downtown gravel parking lot for a 40-story IKEA?

I know, horrible idea.

I’d take the IKEA Spire over Disneyland Roxboro anyday :wink:

2 Likes