General Retail/Restaurant News

Agreed, it sounds like this iteration of Fox will have a much stronger identity. I loved the old spot, but that was primarily for the drinks; the aesthetic was mainly that it was, well, dark. Turn the lights on and it was actually kind of sterile. Really excited to check this out once the initial rush subsides.

10 Likes

New Sir Walter coffee somewhere in Raleigh?

TRIANGLE FOOD BLOG | Be The First To Know The Latest Triangle Restaurant News.

4 Likes

I asked a barista there a month or so and she said she thought they were opening one on Fayetteville Street. Maybe where B. Good was?

7 Likes

I believe you’re correct, and I just don’t get it… that’s literally like 3 blocks from the OG downtown location… lmao

1 Like

I also wonder why they’re closing the Holly Springs one. That one is out here in my neck of the woods and it’s usually pretty busy during the week and always packed for brunch on the weekends.

Whoever puts a coffee shop in Smoky Hollow, I think would absolutely kill it

6 Likes

But don’t they already have a shop that sells tea with shit floating in it? I can’t imagine how they could compete with that! Lol

2 Likes

Maybe it’ll have more food?

1 Like

If that’s the case then they’d literally be bringing their Holly Springs concept to this new Raleigh spot. The Holly Springs one is a restaurant open all day with a coffee shop inside you could go get just coffee from if you wanted.

2 Likes

Short rant/warning. Uncle Julio’s in Crabtree has long been a family favorite. I worked for their second store in Fort Worth for a couple years, and the whole family got hooked. The Raleigh store is minutes from their house, so it was initially a huge win. But this location has gone in the toilet. My dad (who some of you meet a couple years back a Transfer) is not one to grip, but he just e-mailed me, and asked me to pass it along to y’all, about their horrible dinner last night. Fresh made, but small and cold tortillas - the server told him they were cold so kids won’t burn themself. Cold meals, pre-mixed drinks, no silverware, and the worse crime of all, no refried beans. How can you be a Tex-Mex place with out refrieds?
I am open to suggestions to better places on the west/northwest side of R’wood that I can pass on to my folks and try myself.

1 Like

Dos Taquitos? (Ahhh, not enough characters)

3 Likes

Jose and Sons moved back to NW Raleigh. Also not technically North or NW Raleigh but Salt and Lime off Falls of the Neuse is also pretty good.

6 Likes

Had an absolutely terrible experience at the Crabtree location. It was empty but food and drinks took forever. Waitress was always missing and they were out of beans for us too!! Said I’d never go again but was caught at Southpoint with long wait times at all the other restaurants. Ended up at the Uncle Julios for delicious food and thoughtful staff.

1 Like

I’d like to see Bolted open a barista coffee forward concept in Smoky Hollow. Bring over some of their baked goodness daily and pad their profits with more drink selections.

10 Likes

Nice write up on Boulted Bread in this morning’s Nuisance and Disturber. I don’t want to quibble, but is DuPont really the heart of Boylan Heights? :slight_smile:
https://www.newsobserver.com/living/food-drink/article275298126.html

5 Likes

I don’t know, apparently not since people on the Boylan Heights Facebook group were complaining how sad it was to have them leaving their current location. Like they were moving to North Hills or something.

3 Likes

Cant read the article bc of paywall but I will note that the parking situation is going to be pretty terrible here (at least on weekdays) due to the Platform construction. I didnt realize they weren’t open yet and drove my cousin to the Dupont location on a Friday morning. There was nowhere to park and thats when they are closed.

1 Like

Gonna call bullshit on this homie. There’s always somewhere to park. You may just have to walk 2 or 3 blocks lmao.

5 Likes

Kudos to them for pushing into a larger space, allowing them to grow their business -
Whether the heart or not of Boylan, it’s a cool adaptive re-use they’ve invested in and I’m excited to see how their program evolves!! They’ve got a killer pastry / bread program, including the best damn ham croissant around, period!

*Nowhere to park, right in front but probably after the construct debris is gone from across the street, it’ll be like the old shop. For now, park up above (and go check out Rebus) and get a stroll with your morning bun!

6 Likes

Lol knew this response was coming. As someone that usually bikes there, its not a huge deal. I think from a business prespective it could deter a lot of folks until Platform is finished. The construction brings in a lot of cars. Main issue is they are not on your typical city block. Dead space east (for now) and north takes out a lot of access potential. There was no parking that i could find on the bottom left portion of this map.

3 Likes