General Retail/Restaurant News

This seems like a good question for Nextdoor.

Another one of the top restaurants lists dropped. This actually looks like one of the better compiled lists that I’ve seen. I’d probably have included Bida Manda and Jolie on here, but it often gets overlooked by BB anyways.

Anyone see any glaring omissions?

7 Likes

That… looks great. The correct top 3 in probably the correct order. Similar thoughts to you on omissions (I’ve never been inspired by the service at Jolie so I’m fine with it off the list, Bida Manda is surprising even with its previous scandals).

Really surprised to see Vidrio missing.

Also Mojoes at 11 seems silly to me.

Think Pooles needs to be ranked higher.

The last time I went to Vidrio I was pretty disappointed with the menu and food, and extremely disappointed with the service. And I’m not one who cares that much about service.

Jolie, on the other hand, is one my favorites. Stanbury never really impressed me, seemed weird and offputting for the sake of it. There’s a number I would’ve put on here. Dashi in Durham, etc. But honestly it’s all so subjective; food styles are so different, plus no list is ever going to have everything. I think the biggest thing when picking out restaurants is knowing if it fits you, not whether it’s on a list. I almost never have a bad time at a restaurant, because I know what I like, and how to pick them, and how to avoid the ones I won’t enjoy that much.

3 Likes

Outside of the bar at Vidrio, I’ve always been disappointed with the service. Bar service is average.

I like the fact that they put Mojoes at 11. They’re consistent, a staple, and make the best burger for their price point. Best restaurant lists are usually not usually this all-over-the-map in terms of options and price points. But, I love that.

Actually pretty impressed that St Roch made it to 3. Not because they don’t deserve it. They have some of the most unique options and their service is impeccable. I just never hear people talking about it. The gator bolognese is amazing.

Rainbow Luncheonette is also a place I’d like on this list, but they’re pretty darn new, so I understand the omission.

2 Likes

This is surprisingly well done, and isn’t based off Yelp reviews or social media hype which is refreshing.

I like how they put Guglhupf on the list, I’ve always felt they don’t get as much recognition as they deserve, and they’ve been doing it for decades.

Only 1 restaurant I would take off, and that’s the Angus Barn. I love the whole crew over there, the building, property and they were an awesome customer to service, but the food isn’t impressive or memorable at all.

I’m OK with Stanbury holding the number 1 spot. I feel they put the most amount of effort towards rotating the menu, using seasonal and local produce, meat, seafood etc. When we sold them produce Drew would call in a couple times a month to see what was new or upcoming locally. Not everything they cook is the best thing I’ve ever eaten but overall the creativity and execution for the amount of rotating items is very impressive.

5 Likes

Interesting how the majority of these are in Raleigh. Based on the perception of the two main cities in the Triangle, Durham is the “foodie” city. We really need to work hard to change that narrative that we both have great food options.

3 Likes

Honestly I seem to find that title labeled the most from bored, unimpressive people in Raleigh.

List to list comparisons of the whole city and they aren’t even close.

I’ve only ever heard Durham called the Triangle’s “Foodie City” by… people who live in Durham lmao

6 Likes

I think Raleigh has closed the gap when it comes to food. Durham still has style and better taste when it comes to all the other things related to going out to restaurants like atmosphere and vibes. The “experience” is still better, IMO.

8 Likes

Add to that that the core downtown of Durham framed in by Mateo, littler, Dashi, and all the amazing places in between, creates a very walkable district of high quality restaurants that Raleigh doesn’t necessarily have. I would say the closest thing we have to it is the Wilmington Street/ blount Street corridor

3 Likes

Raleigh’s downtown net is definitely cast wider which means that eventually it will have a broader collection of distinct urban experiences/neighborhoods that link one to the other. It’s already starting to happen, but it’s not mature yet.

4 Likes

City of Raleigh government hates fun. I mean look at the name of our social district.

Sip n’ Stroll vs Durham’s Bullpen.

Sip n’ Stroll is 90% of a toddler’s daily activities, not a good name for an open container zone.

6 Likes

Maybe take a cue from Durham and name ours “The Playpen”? …oh wait.

I remember hearing something about this awhile ago. Guess it’s finally happening, since this is their first post. Sister bar to Aunt Betty’s, but on the side area of Hibernian.

11 Likes

Just call it ‘Drunktown’.

EDIT: I do like the Bullpen from Durham though. If the name doesn’t have to be based on drinking, why not call it something like ‘The Oak Trail’?

1 Like

Durham is better per capita (one of the best in the country accounting for size IMO) and great diversity of cuisine but they have a massive ‘lunch food’ gap in the downtown core. Almost every place is a dinner or happy hour spot.

Also food hall is very disappointing

5 Likes

Simply calling it ‘Raleigh Social District’, while plain, sounds way better than the “Sip’n Strioll”

3 Likes