General Retail/Restaurant News

The lack of connection between Dix Park (specifically the Big Field) and the Farmer’s Market always bugged me. I found this from the Timmons Group which I don’t ever recall seeing before.

https://www.timmons.com/project/north-carolina-state-farmers-market-master-plan/

Looks like they are working to eventually connect the two.

13 Likes

I’m not sure how old these plans are, but I was down there Saturday visiting some of the Wholesalers. According to them, the State is building another wholesale building where I circled in Red. This would create another fenced in area to separate the public from the tractor trailers.

Looks like they want to add connection to this area too, which is confusing. The public never walks over here. Interesting little fact, the reason the rear of the building has these entrance looking sections. The wholesale was originally designed to include rail access, but never finalized the plans to connect the rails.

3 Likes

Hope so! View from just now.

13 Likes

I’m not going to kill the mood but the bookstore is trending again since it’s closing. American society…

Definitely a better aesthetic than the silver it was before. Bold and it stands out. Hopefully they kill it.

1 Like

So sorry people want to make others feel bad for their own pleasure. Seen a lot of shit, it only takes one jerk person to be amplified into a crisis by media. Safety for a children of color bookstore should be a priority and taken seriously. If you’re able to expose these jerk terrorist they quickly retreat to their rock.

5 Likes

Looks like Capital Club 16 is closing. In the comments they say they are being replaced by someone already in the downtown scene.

This sucks. I loved CC16! It was one of my favorite spots to go for lunch and Christmas there was awesome.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5pWQVzs7dc/?igsh=MXJ1eWY4ejlwbmVtdQ==

5 Likes

Oh man. That one hurts. :weary:

2 Likes

Same. That hurts. It is nice to hear that there’s already backfill for these spots. Humble Pie, Union Special, and now Capital Club have all mentioned they’re being replaced by a new concept. Glad to see that they won’t just sit empty.

3 Likes

I wasn’t allowed to say anything specific, so this was my best clue. Capital Club has been one of our regulars for over a decade. Sad to see it go after all these years.

3 Likes

That’s where we met for the first time!

1 Like

I figured when I realized how much more energy they seemed to be putting into the food truck and off-site events.

CC16 has been one of our favorites since they opened. The space is really special, and I’m going to miss it in it’s current incarnation. But I’m hopeful that, like Figulina, we will see something great fill the void.

5 Likes

Considering that Umbrella is completely useless for post-Kings/Neptunes shows - I’d love it if whatever takes over the spot stays open late-nite :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll go ahead and be that guy:
I’ve been there a handful of times over the years and wasn’t terribly impressed. The food and drinks were fine, nothing to make me excited to go back. The thing I liked the most was the space, and that’s going to remain in some form. So personally I don’t really care if Capital Club 16 is gone as long as the location doesn’t sit empty. But I get that it’s a lot of people’s favorite thing, like Poole’s Diner.

3 Likes

The schnitzel sandwich was :bomb:

5 Likes

Damn! Now I have a hankering for some mac n cheese.

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/mac-cheese-fresh/s?k=mac+and+cheese+fresh

I said mac n cheese, not mac n cheese-like product. :cheese:

3 Likes

Saw this in the new Bistro spot taking over for Union Special. Additionally, lots of drilling going on in the new Sir Walter (formerly B Good’s) location. Birdie’s is also much further along than you’d think and Ive seen tons of workers going in and out. El Toro Loco also appears to be on a path to completion (new overhanging shade in front)

19 Likes

i thought all the businesses were leaving downtown?

8 Likes