General Retail/Restaurant News

What exactly is a “speakeasy” these days?

1 Like

Aunt Betty’s Gin & Abisenthe bar has a speakeasy vibe. You can only get to it from inside Morgan Street Food hall thru the unmarked metal door next to the southern food place…or out front thru another easy-to miss doorway. Super cool speakeasy/old time “drinking club” atmosphere One of my favorite places in DTR.

4 Likes

I also like this place. Do you know if they’ve opened back up? I couldn’t seem to find an answer online today.

2 Likes

Watts and Ward is open inside now, but who wants to sit inside on a beautiful day like this?

11 Likes

I was in there last weekend sneaking a drink in at 9 pm. I imagine they are serving until 11:00 now

4 Likes

No problem! When in doubt, Instagram accounts like Offline or Raleigh Food Pics can be useful for research and inspiration, too.

1 Like

According to their monthly newsletter, Snoopy’s Hot Dogs at 600 Hillsborough St. closed permanently last night. According to their newsletter they had been approached by several interested buyers for the property. They opened at this site in 1990.

8 Likes

As much of an institution that place is, it’s ugly as hell and I won’t miss it.

4 Likes

While I am sorry to hear this, I tend to go to Char Grill next door. And the Snoopys on Wake Forest and Whitaker Mill is superior IMO

3 Likes

I agree. The few times I’ve been to this location I arrived by 11 so I could park. The others are much better.

I wonder if a developer will scoop this up and the building/land right behind it? Seems like an ideal spot to put apartments or a condo building.

3 Likes

Agree. If I know when it’s my last meal, it will include an alcoholic milkshake.

1 Like

It’s about time. I mean they can also open inside one of the new building if they wanted to. Not exactly a historic structure or iconic design.

2 Likes

It said on wral that they did sell to a developer. So I’m excited to see what the plans are with this lot. The building between it and the Willard has been undergoing renovations for what seems like years. Maybe that will be part of the new development.

On a personal note, I don’t eat hot dogs and have never been to Snoopy’s, and I’ve wanted this building gone for a long time. But I’m sure a lot of people will miss it.

Also, the Google Maps streetview has a pretty good action shot of the brick building coming down to make way for The Willard. It’s amazing how much this corner has changed in the last year and a half. I wonder what else might be coming down soon along with Snoopy’s.

3 Likes

More than just hotdogs…

1 Like

The Cardinal on N. West has the best hot dogs in Raleigh, anyway. I’ll be completely honest, I’ve always found Snoopy’s to be pretty gross. Only thing of theirs I like is the root beer float, which is tough to F up as it is - and I usually go to the one on Hillsborough and Gorman anyway

10 Likes

Hills/Gorm was my go to back in the day. I liked their hot dogs just fine, especially when they were on special. Course, I was 17 and would eat almost anything and get away with it. No so much these days.

2 Likes

Amen brother! If we are what we eat, no wonder I’m looking more like a pig everyday.

1 Like

The small lot kinda reminds me of another proposal that maybe could be brought off the shelf for this site…

One of the highest elevations in DTR… the views would be something.

8 Likes

Not sure those kind of small business could easily survive if they didn’t own their land. I often heard various business having to move/close because their rent goes up out of control…

1 Like