Glenwood South Mixed Use Building

I always thought it was weird Hillsborough never got a Franklin St vibe going. I don’t know if Mission Valley stalled it out way back when or what.

1 Like

Seems Raleigh always has ‘just enough’ going on in different parts of town to pull away from specific critical mass in other theoretical ‘key’ areas. I always felt like Hillsborough suffered from the ‘pull’ of Cameron Village more than Mission Valley. We’ve seemingly been ‘too big’ comparatively speaking (since the 80s?) versus Durm / CHill to create that vibrant university adjacency…We have pockets…
I still believe the Glenwood district has gained the most benefit from its early (bar) scene into today through a slow burn leveraged by the growing number of residents there. Couple that with the coming developments coming online - SmoHo, Zimmer?, Creamery and we’ll all see the area grow up — some might say about time but I say who can judge the pace of evolution…?

4 Likes

Maybe, though Mission Valley always seemed to have more of the collegiate feel. I just remember being at Two Guys in ‘98 when they beat UNC w/ Jamison. We heard shouting on Hillsborough, but when we left like 20 minutes later the street was deserted besides toilet paper in the trees. The partying had moved elsewhere in a hurry.

Back in the '70s and earlt '80s Hillsborough Street was full of bars that would spill out onto the street late at night. There were also very popular bars in Cameron Village in the Underground. The neighborhood fought hard against the bars and NCSU bought several of them to shut them down. You could drink beer and wine at age 18 at that time so it was a bit unruly. When Glenwood South streetscape occurred the city promoted the are as an entertainment district which basically was to replace the Hillsborough St scene.

6 Likes

When I started at State, Hillsborough was still a party street. From what I understand, NIMBYism, the rising age of alcohol consumption, and the purchase of property by the university were the one-two-three punch that diminished the scene.
Barry’s, Edward’s Grocery, the original Crazy Zack’s, Free advice, along with the still standing Mitch’s Tavern were the scene at State until 1980. Barry’s became Barry’s 2, and Crazy Zack’s moved a mile down the road by Meredith, while others closed in the Summer of 80. Somehow Mitch’s found a way to survive, and Player’s Retreat keeps chugging away, though I don’t recall it ever being a party scene like the other places.
At this point, only upper class students can legally drink, so a lot of the customer base evaporated over the course of a couple of years in the early 80s when the transition to 21 from 18 (beer and wine) happened. I distinctly remember the scene moving from public spaces to private parties during my time at State.

3 Likes

Totally agree @rgmedd.

LOL. We must have been writing our replies simultaneously. I didn’t see yours before I wrote mine!

2 Likes

I just missed the era with Edwards Grocery and the old Crazy Zack’s and the original Barry’s. Heard all of the great stories from the upperclassmen. We still had Mitch’s, Barry’s II, Blimpie, Darryl’s, Players Retreat, My Apartment Lounge (adult entertainment that later became the ACC Tavern, and the newer Crazy Zack’s further down Hillsborough. Western had Tuts, Harpos, and Class Act. Studio One Theater, next to Mitch’s had some interesting flicks on Wednesday night’s before it became a McDonald’s. The Brewery was on Hillsborough on the other side of Dan Allan and the Bears Den was in the CV Underground. Good times. Downtown Raleigh was deader than a door nail back then. I recall the Raleigh Vipers Rugby team drank at MVP’s in Brentwood and that Bowtie’s in the North Raleigh Hilton were popular for non student adults. It took a while for GS to become a destination. Greenshields (City Market), Old Bar/New Bar (Charlie Goodnights), 42nd St, and a few bars on Hillsborough were the only places during the late 80’s early 90’s. Then TirNaNog and RiRa and other places started sprouting up in and around downtown in the mid 90’s. GS didn’t take off until the late 90’s/early 00’s.

11 Likes

Great list! Thanks for reminding me of some of these long-gone destinations. It’s been forever since I’ve been reminded of old-bar and new-bar!
I’ll add to the list The Rathskeller. I really enjoyed that place, though it was primarily a restaurant.

2 Likes

I had forgotten about the Rathskeller. Angotti’s restaurant was in there as well somewhere, along with Esquire Hair Salon. The other side of Mitch’s had J Riggins mens clothing and Four-Five-Six (low grade Chinese food). Then, Baxley’s, Two Guys, Brothers, Schoolkids Records and the bowling alley. Around 86 they built the Electric Company Mall.

1 Like

In the location that became Barry’s II, I think there was a bar called “Monday’s Tavern”?

Rathskeller! Where my dad walked over from Harrilson Hall to meet me for lunch and buy me my first legal beer!! I really miss that place.

4 Likes

I loved how it felt like a wood maze in there! It was such an intimate place to go and hang out with friends. The only thing that I don’t miss is the cigarette smoke.

3 Likes

When I started at State in ‘95 the Big Bad Wolf was the only club left on Hillsborough. There was a McDonald’s in the old theater. A lot of homeless people hung out there and the street was really dark.

2 Likes

This should be moving forward with rezoning. First floor retail with office and residential. Bye Bye cornerstone…

3 Likes

Huge Glenwood facing parking deck (grey color), blue is office, pink is retail, yellow is residential.

Current developer’s massing image provided to the planning commission.

15 Likes

You beat me to it! More screen captures—apologies for the resolution:

Developer says they’ve been waiting 16 years to assemble all the properties for this development! They also mentioned that this will have publicly-available parking on-site. PC unanimously recommends approval.

27 Likes

There will be some unhappy folks at Paramount.

2 Likes

I mean, it’s a city- they had to have known something would be coming, right?

8 Likes

Yep. But knowing it could happen and see your view gone is two different things. Like the parking deck at Smoky Hollow that the first 10 floors at The West stare at now.

3 Likes