Heritage Park Development

I’ll put this here for now, but in about a year it might deserve its own thread?

N&O today reports that the reimagining of Heritage Park will start in earnest early next year. LeVelle Moton’s company and another called Brinshore Development were selected as co-developers.

Read more at: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article268884767.html#storylink=cpy

13 Likes

Really hope this still isn’t the plan. Needs to be much denser.

3 Likes

That looks basically like what’s there now. Yuck.

2 Likes

Agreed. They did say (and I’m paraphrasing based on memory) “one thing we know is that it will include market rate housing” and “anyone that lives here now will have the ability to stay or come back” So that’s a good sign that there will be decent density.

And finally, “planning will take 12 months” – so this is almost certainly not where it will end up.

2 Likes

It looks deceiving but it’s actually more than 3x the amount of units. Heritage park now is 120 units, this will have 375, with several buildings being 4 story, most now are 1 story. I know with this location everyone expects a high rise development, but unless I’m mistaken under Raleigh Housing Authority’s building codes we won’t see something similar to Glenwood Towers anytime soon.
I’m just curious about the child care component, is this only for new residents? what makes them qualify for this service and others don’t? This is a substantial amount of money saved and arguably more so than rent for some people.

Current :

New :

7 Likes

I understand that and still think its not enough.

Glenwood Towers isn’t the model here. Just build regular, dense, urban (not suburban), mixed-use, mixed-income.

11 Likes

More density than before but still feels relatively (sub)urban.
Seems like a miss not going with more density adjacent to Western as well as whatever happens (tower??) with the Future Parcel E…

12 Likes

Coach Moton mentioned retail, which I don’t think that old proposal had any of, so it sounds like they’re going back to the drawing board

3 Likes

His (Mouton’s) DevCompany was part of the DTS convo / partnership discussion with Kane / Malik a while back, I think…? Would be a smart play to leverage some of that to make these moves more cohesive with what’s happening at Lake Wheeler / Saunders / Hammel - bringing mixed use services in for all…

2 Likes

Ya. Suburban, car centric model. I know we need parking and decks are expensive, but this seems like a great opportunity to build something where the mix or market housing and subsidized housing feels cohesive, neighborly, community centric, with cars being hidden in decks and public spaces being at the forefront.

Or we could just get more of the same …

14 Likes

It’s going to be low rise. High rise, low income combo is a Cabrini Green formula . Go into the high rise - low income on Western. Depressing is an understatement.

1 Like

High-rise, mixure of incomes. :exploding_head:

8 Likes

No one needs grass or parks, they become useless spaces inside of planned neighborhoods - walk to Moore square, Dix or Nash, we already spent enough money there and utilization is low.

There are basketball courts on this property today, I have never once seem them used. Yet when they took the chain link fence down at Lenoir Street Park and made some minor visual improvements - usage went up dramatically. Good shared public infrastructure is significantly better than neighborhood specific.

3 Likes

Yup. Good model, works pretty much everywhere it’s used, incentivizes those with higher incomes and therefore ability to invest to give a damn about upkeep for the whole community.

2 Likes

I’ve said it many times, anything less than 1000 units here is a complete waste. 2000+ units is easily possible on a site of this size.

As already mentioned, mid- and high-rise, mixed income, is a formula that works pretty well in many cities.

A 2000 unit complex, even at just 25% affordable, would still deliver over 4x the affordable housing of today’s HP, to say nothing of the added markekt rate housing.

7 Likes

This plan would have seemed unambitious 20 years ago, let alone today. Glad to hear it’s likely been buried.

2 Likes

i was back in my hometown during the fair and i did like the new moore square. using mapmyrun.com for run routes or organized yoga…seemed ok. i liked it.

11 Likes

Are they F-ing kidding me? Another suburban style public housing project in downtown?

2 Likes

I’m not surprised. Just annoyed.
(Also my emoji reaction was directed towards the proposal, not you our your post.)

1 Like

I got a notice in the mail a few weeks ago that they would be starting a new planning process for the redevelopment this year. I can’t imagine this is what the end result will be.

3 Likes