Highline Glenwood and 404 Glenwood at The Creamery

The building has been sold for $34 million with plans for redevelopment. The Creamery building should stay, per current plans, but the more recent apartment add-on and the parking lots will go. This also includes the buildings on the corner of Glenwood and North plus the small gravel lot at 501 North West Street.

New York City-based Turnbridge Equities paid $34.7 million for the nearly-century-old Creamery building and two adjacent parcels in downtown Raleigh’s Glenwood South neighborhood earlier this week. The seller was Chicago-based Northpond Partners.

Altogether, the portfolio features 3.3 acres at 400 and 410 Glenwood Ave. and 501 N. West St. and includes the old Creamery building, a 2-story mixed-use building that dates back to the 1920s.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/03/25/sold-historic-building-on-glenwoodin-downtown.html

7 Likes

I hope the “redevelopment” at very minimum includes keep the facade of building with a setback preserving say first 20ft if anything is built on top up of.

3 Likes

I talked to this developer team a little over a month ago during their due diligence period on the property. They have big plans. They don’t plan to touch the creamery building in the foreseeable future, but they were thinking they would seek 40 story rezoning for the rest of the property, tearing down the building Heat gym is in along with the apartments and offices behind the creamery to make way for 2 large towers.

26 Likes

I’ve always envisioned those parking lots to be developed with a tower or 2 someday, especially with the tall-ish condo tower across the train tracks. Glad to hear the Creamery building itself will remain (it’s historic, and IMO shouldn’t be touched). The Heat gym buildings are at least a friendly streetlevel presence, so in a perfect world I’d love if they kept the buildings/facades intact and just developed over them, but they would not be a huge loss as compared to the Creamery building itself. I’m honestly MOST interested to see how they plan to develop that super skinny lot along West St between the train tracks…

10 Likes

The Heat space is one of those original neighborhood store buildings that gives the area some charm. I guess, ya, know, eff charm when there is money to be made.

7 Likes

I wish I was in the financial position to round-off $700,000! :grinning:

1 Like

As the resident train nerd it is my responsibility to point out that I hope they don’t build anything in that lot along West Street, because that is where high speed rail tracks are supposed to go.

8 Likes

Well, eminent domain will fix that.

Thanks to the GOP cities no longer have eminent domain ability…the train can possibly do it.

1 Like

Cities can’t use eminent domain for economic development but they can still use it for streets, sewers, parks, etc.

Maybe they should donate the West St property to the city as a condition of the 40 story rezoning.

9 Likes

Glenwood South is well on its way to rivaling Fayetteville street if Kane goes 40, this goes 40, and Zimmer goes 40 (though not technically Glenwood South). This will significantly expand the strength of the city’s west side.

9 Likes

Exactly what I’m thinking when I say I hope they at least keep the facade, or even better, the whole 1 story building intact and build up over it. Keep the street level charm AND add to the skyline. Win-Win IMO

3 Likes

Don’t forget - its past its useful life and no one famous lived here so it can’t be called historic.

Probably not up to ADA code as well! It really just has to go.

This will be a nice string with the Clancy and Theys, Cabarrus, West extension, Smoky Hollow/Zimmer as you mentioned, and this. This is really shaping up to be another major node for our city. However, I think focusing more towards Harrington and the tracks by Capitol is also a good idea as it is underutilized and keeps the “character” of GS.

2 Likes

I don’t think a 40 story building on this block would be appropriate or be approved. Perhaps up to 20 stories could work along the West Street side of the property, but anything above 10 stories fronting Glenwood Avenue in my view would be way out of character for the neighborhood.

7 Likes

I think it would be very appropriate if designed correctly and I also think it would get approved.

1 Like

I would think that a thoughtful development would push taller aspects to the eastern side of the property adjacent to the RR Tracks. I’d expect that the corner of North and Glenwood is likely to at least mimic the Gramercy across the street. I agree with @jasdelaney that 40 floors across that entire block would not feel appropriate within the existing context of the street. As for whether 20 or 40 is the right number of floors, I think that a lot of that matters on what is the building use. A 40 story residential or hotel property wouldn’t be double the height of a 20 floor office building. Use Skyhouse as an example. It’s what, 23 stories? It certainly doesn’t feel all that tall compared to its neighbor, PNC.

4 Likes

My ideas:

• leave Creamery building as is, at most renovating the interior
  • 20-30 stories residential/hotel only on Glenwood x North corner (ideally keeping original ground floor building [Heat gym] facade intact as retail)
  • 40 stories on current surface lots for office/residential mix use
  • West St between railroad tracks strip either 1-2 story retail only, or dog park for the influx of new residents to this area
6 Likes

Like the ideas, but West needs some love too. I say keep 10-15 stories on Glenwood and move some taller stuff to the surface/garage lots on West.