Highline Glenwood and 404 Glenwood at The Creamery

Bogarts has great meat loaf. Worked on Johnston Street and walked over on Thursday’s for it.

1 Like

I really enjoyed their brunch. They were also a good “go to” place for a holiday meal. I was really bummed when they closed. Similarly, I used to love to go to Red Room for on Sundays for the discounted menu. Friends and I used to make that a regular thing.

2 Likes

I had dinner at red room when I drove down for interviews a couple months before moving here. I was sad when that closed shortly after

Trying Smugmug for photo hosting watermarking but don’t like how it’s displaying. :disappointed:

This is the east side of the tracks from the Creamery.

https://oakcitydylan.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-nhsfX6K/A

6 Likes

Very cool! :nerd_face::blush:
From first view, very nice. Thank you and keep up the great work🥰

1 Like

Dropped a new post on this project but it has nothing new except photos from a recent walk around the properties. Here are the photos in that post as well as additional ones.

https://dtraleigh.com/2020/04/a-walk-around-the-creamery-block-in-glenwood-south/

13 Likes

I do hope they keep the historical building. I feel it’s best we keep as much historical aspects of our city as possible. I know in denser populated areas, such as DC for example, they construct the new building around the older buildings. I’m hoping this is what they do in this case.

12 Likes

Some notes from the neighborhood meeting on this DX-40 rezoning request. They may not all make sense. That’s how my notes go.

• Adding a request for a Certificate of Appropriateness for the Creamery Building, want to save “a significant portion of it”.
  • Height and massing CoA to be filed in the next month or two
  • Rezoning request plus height and massing CoA.
  • Clearscapes designated architecture firm. Assisted by MA Architects (Morris Adjmi) from NYC (www.ma.com).
  • Turnbridge Equities owns the property and is managing this project.

Some images from Clearscapes preso

Building Chronology
Seems only the 1928 and 1940s portions of the Creamery would be saved, though the CoA process could impact that.

Examples of Turnbridge projects around the US

They’re wanting to create a similar mixed-use street experience to the following examples and it would cut through the middle of the property exposing the historic Creamery structure, a [Woonerf](Woonerf - Wikipedia that is

Height and massing would be around the surface parking below

Ideas for how the layout could look (40 story likely being the yellow block)
Parking would likely be under the purple and align with the railroad

• provision that if the historic building is damaged in some way by “disaster or unintentional damage” and repairs exceed 50% of the total assessed tax value, they could demolish and rebuild as desired

Lastly, there were about 25 people that joined the Zoom. There were about 6 questions and 5 of those were mine. I’ve covered most of the applicable ones above.

27 Likes

This is worrisome and unacceptable. You can bet your bottom dollar that it would happen.

2 Likes

Clearscapes’ involvement is the best thing that could happen for this project. MA looks like it does great work too. This should be a showpiece for Raleigh.

7 Likes

You posted what I was typing, so :heart:
Having Clearscapes as AoR certainly bodes well for maintaining the Creamery character versus someone from outside…

3 Likes

Really? Maybe I’m just naïve, but I would think a developer with any integrity wouldn’t intentionally destroy something they’re pledging to save. It would also mean they’d have to redesign their plans, and would look bad for future developments they need approved.

@OakCityDylan, thanks for the comprehensive update. Very interesting project!

4 Likes

No. I think they genuinely want to take advantage of the history and style of the Creamery and fuse it to the style of the rest of the project. I think that clause is simply protection that if it’s damaged beyond reasonable repair, and you have to put a metric to “reasonable”, they’re not bound to deal with a money pit. My 2 cents. But having watched the presentation, the project as a whole and the styling is coming from the Creamery as a central piece.

13 Likes

I Agree totally Anyway the important part to me😁 How many stories up on the office/residential you think they gonna go, I know king petty lol.

I bet the 50% clause is for unforeseen damage, decay, or more likely environmental hazards.

I asked if they’d actually go 40 given the lack of height restriction and the response was basically it’s too early to tell. Height and massing will happen after the CoA.

3 Likes

I know of too many inconvenient examples. Here’s one that you might know. In Miami, the “There’s Something About Mary” house (from the movie) was part of a land assemblage that was approved for redevelopment into a huge luxury tower complex. As approved, the developer was required to preserve the home as an important cultural icon under almost the exact circumstances as The Creamery. Well, low and behold it was “accidentally” destroyed in a freak crane accident. What are the chances?

If the original is extensively damaged, I would prefer a requirement that does not necessarily require Notre Dame level repair of an extensively damaged building regardless of cost, but allows for demolition/rebuild of something with essentially identical exterior appearance, if that is more economical.

3 Likes

Two thoughts about the damage provision:

1. I definitely do NOT like the wording, and am with @orulz in that I’d rather the provision require that if any damage occurs, they budget enough to fix any mistakes/damage rather than demo.
  2. I do think it’s more just a general liability blanket statement - remember Kane had a provision like this for the Dillon facade, and we all certainly didn’t like the wording of that - but lo and behold, Kane did everything possible to preserve the facade- and prevailed.

One thought about the project info @OakCityDylan has shared with us:

1. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE WHERE THEY’RE GOING WITH THIS!!!
4 Likes

Awesome development, I’m most excited about the new pedestrian corridor between Tucker and W North St.

8 Likes