Highline Glenwood and 404 Glenwood at The Creamery

A 30-40 story building here would obviously extend the skyline drastically to the West, especially with Smoky Hollow Phase 3 and (hopefully) Zimmer project. Would also probably become a catalyst for more tall/dense development between all of these projects (no more 10-20 story buildings only - as these will set a precedent that taller is no longer “out of place” in the the Glenwood South/Peace St area).

6 Likes

Expanding it both west and north!

2 Likes

Did I miss it or was there any mention of the actual height/stories for the DX-40 zoned building?

As most of us already understand, just because DX-40 is the next zoning designation after DX-20, it doesn’t necessarily mean an actual 40-story building will be built. It could be anything from 21 stories up to 40.

2 Likes

They need to get through the CoA before they’ll have height/massing examples. I asked if they’d actually go to 40 given the height limitations being removed and they said it’s too early to know. They just wanted the flexibility of going more than 20. I suppose they could get through the CoA and change to DX-20 if they feel DX-40 is out of the question (that’s my guess).

6 Likes

GSNC is setting up a zoom meeting with the developers, architects and attorneys on July 7th. So if you are a GSNC member, you will get an invitation to join this meeting. You will have the opportunity to see the proposal and ask questions. It is early in the process and plans are still in flux, however, I am reassured by the presentation that they really do want to preserve the Creamery. The bulk of the height and mass would be adjacent to the railroad track. Since they are starting with RHDC it is pretty clear that they want to preserve the Creamery. The rest of the project will have to blend in and compliment that structure.

12 Likes

Looks great to me. Carry on. Thanks for the great reporting, Dylan!

2 Likes

TBJ article: https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/06/29/new-owners-file-40-story-rezoning.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

Most redevelopment happening on surface lots, and they are committed to maintaining the creamery building.

7 Likes

Assuming the pedestrian corridor will be similar to what they are doing in smoky II… if so, that will be nice. Maybe throw in some cobblestone or brick with some string lights like city market

9 Likes

In this afternoon’s TBJ Edition , they have a article with headlines stating a developer wants to build 2 towers up to 40 stories at The Creamery location with a connecting walk-way .

2 Likes

I know it’s early in the process, but if they are applying for rezoning and presenting initial plans now, any guesses at when construction might start if things go smoothly? On a project this large, can they move quickly?

I wouldn’t expect anything for 18 months (IMO). We won’t even see the rezoning until the CoA has been completed, I think. If we see a rezoning approved this time next year, that’d be great! But then, they’ll need to actually design the building, get design approval, then demo permits, then building permits. We’ll see a 40(ish) story tower over there by 2024.

5 Likes

Thanks for the insight. I live in the neighborhood and work from home, so I am not eager to live through more major construction. If I can make it through one more year in relative peace, I will move next summer!

1 Like

Nooo!!! Don’t leave!!! With SmoHo almost done, you’re going to have plenty to do!

1 Like

I think this neighborhood is a bit more lively than I require (and I moved here from NYC, I’m used to noise and activity). All of the apartment buildings downtown and in Glenwood South seem to have a very frat house vibe, so unless I buy a house, I may need to leave town entirely!

4 Likes

Come over to the Eaaast siiiide, where civility reigns.

3 Likes

Noted. But if I go east, I may go as far as the beach!

2 Likes

I live in west Raleigh near PNC Arena and it’s plenty quiet and about 10 minutes away from downtown. I know living downtown isn’t for me, but I like the access.

3 Likes

I may know somebody renting a unit at the West (more mature crowd than the usual apt buildings). Unit will be available mid July (from what my friend tells me). :slight_smile:

1 Like

The rezoning request from DX-7-SH to DX-40-CU has already hit the wire!

16 Likes

OakCityDylan , You Are On The Ball ! Thanks For This Great Information !

5 Likes