Highwoods in Raleigh

Maybe a whole mess of you twitter folks should all send the same message. Can’t you do a pound sign thing and get something trending?

sorry sold my Highwoods (HIW) stock 15 or so years ago as it did not seem to be going anywhere.

1 Like

It’s their property to manage how they see fit.

5 Likes

It’s their right to do what they want with it and it’s our right to be annoyed with them for their choices :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

20 Likes

It’s our community to manage how we see fit. :grin:

5 Likes

@dtraleigh can we block @R-Dub from just this thread? I don’t like his tone. :rofl:

11 Likes

It’s your right to not like his tone.

9 Likes

Precisely. Perfectly said.

4 Likes

The property they don’t use :man_shrugging:t4:. They develop their properties every else but in Raleigh. What’s going on with their executives?

Highwoods sucks…

Haven’t read any in a while, but they’ve slightly shifted their tune in recent years and begun talking up how their office properties are “amenitized” (silly commercial real estate term for mixing in retail). Their own trademark for it is “BBDs: Best Business Districts.”
https://www.highwoods.com/for-our-investors/press-and-news

It’s kind of telling that they’re named after one of a few OP-zoned office areas in Raleigh. Most every other office campus is now OX, and brimming with apartment infill.

Public REITs generally have a big incentive to color within the lines of their specific property type. Generally, mixed-use portfolios are more complex to manage, tougher to value, and usually trade at lower multiples. (Brookfield, owner of Southpoint, is an example: they merged their multi-sector public REIT into a private equity fund precisely because the market undervalued it.) But several REITs have pivoted out of suburban office (which has been a laggard among property types in total return for 20+ years) and into urban multifamily, in search of higher returns.

REITs are fundamentally income vehicles, so they’re generally reticent about spending their own money on development. Instead, they will provide longer-term capital to a “merchant builder” who joins the project and exits later. A problem for them is that Raleigh doesn’t have very many with that capacity. Kane is the exception, and obviously the two shops know about each other: Highwoods recently bought Captrust Tower at North Hills. Maybe one of the national players just entering the market (like Hines) might help realize their potential.

8 Likes

This is obviously not a tower downtown, but Highwoods is going under construction on a new building. Seven-story office building off Edwards Mill in Glenlake. Will be HQ for engineering company McKim & Creed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/11/10/highwoods-properties-glenlake-new-office-building.html

2 Likes

Meanwhile in Nashville……

3Q2021 presentation of Highwoods with some interesting graphics and numbers:

Now if they would only start the Edge and 333 W Hargett!

21 Likes

333 West Hargett looks gorgeous. I’d like to see them put their money where their mouth is (for once).

14 Likes

Where’s my emoji NOT holding my breath?
:yawning_face:

7 Likes

Cool. Now do literally any of those projects (well, take or leave the CentreGreen one, another office park in Cary isn’t exactly thrilling).

Future developments…B(ait and )S(witch)…meanwhile check out our gravel parking lots…WTH

1 Like

I remain pessimistic but I notice that p.11 includes around $200mm in development outlook for 2021. That could all be out of market or other suburban office but still

1 Like

Agreed. Would love to see a building of that style pop up in Rals

2 Likes