Indoor Music Venues and Clubs

Yeah, this is how I feel about it. I’ll go if a band I like is playing, but it has to be one of the worst Live Nation venues I’ve set foot in. The sound is terrible, the stage is way too wide, the columns are super annoying (especially at metal shows)… and I could forgive all of those things if it was a DIY like Cats Cradle or something, but it’s freakin’ Live Nation with their insane fees and hilariously overpriced beer.

I’m sorry, but this is a hot button issue for me, and I’ll probably keep complaining about it until it gets leveled.

10 Likes

(Interview with Band XYZ after concluding their US tour)

Interviewer: “What we’re your favorite venues on your tour?”

Band (in unison): “Not the Ritz in Raleigh”

3 Likes

I’m not sure if it was ever confirmed or any more information came out, but Raleigh magazine said there was a rumor that a new live nation venue was going into Midtown exchange.

If that is the case, I think there is a good chance it would replace the Ritz.

5 Likes

I’d be very surprised if it didn’t. That being said, I really hope it’s an indoor venue and not just a smaller Red Hat. We have enough amphitheaters in this area, and those are only useful during the summer.

3 Likes

Hope so! Progress in that site has been sloooowwww though.

1 Like

Speaking of shows at the Duke Energy Center for the Performing Arts:

4 Likes

Agreed. Live Nation could totally level up the experience and still take their pound of flesh…and yet, nope. Been there plenty of times through the years but I’m over the fact nothing is going to change and actively do not go there.
My ‘boycott’ won’t change things but for personal happiness, I purposefully go see bands in other venues / towns on the same tour at this point to avoid the junk show.
My pipe dream is that the Midtown redevelopment around Crabtree Creek swallows this up and spits out a new venue.

2 Likes

Oh… to repeat, their booking is TERRIBLE - absolutely needs some fresh blood booking there to bring it back to glory. Every once in a while they get a huge show that genuinely surprises me and I’ll get tix. Otherwise it’s all dad rock, terrible bottom-of-the-barrel country, and cover bands. It’s really a shame.

5 Likes

Jake I know you are in the music scene too. I have played Lincoln many times and as recently as January. I wonder how much of the booking mix is a direct reflection of the market here. For a 500+ capacity room, they need acts that are going to sell a minimum of 300 tickets consistently. As much as I wish we had a better music scene, the reality is that it’s hard to get people excited to buy tickets for a show on a Wednesday night in this market. Just thinking out loud that for them it may be a safer economic play to cater to the tribute band shows that have a lower risk ticket. Similarly, touring original bands have a hard time graduating from consistently doing well at the pour house to consistently doing well at a room like Lincoln. Having said all that, I do think there are a lot of mid-tier touring bands that would crush the Lincoln, and they need to do a better job locking those acts down

6 Likes

Oh 100%, they book the tribute acts/cover bands because they sell tickets and make them money. I just don’t happen to personally know a single soul that buys tickets to tribute shows LMAO. Your last few sentences right on the money too - they have periodically booked AMAZING mid-tier touring bands: GWAR, Ty Segall, Khruangbin (somewhat recently), are ones I remember off the top of my head. Motorco in Durham has around a 500 cap, and consistently book incredible shows that could easily do as well if not better with the extra space at Lincoln.

13 Likes

wasn’t sure where to share this (is there a general “Events” thread? I couldn’t find one):

5 Likes

@elevatoroperator yeah I’m with you with the “neutral” emoji… even a :yawning_face: is more like it

Yeah, bit of a let down. Hope they’re able to get back to pre-covid levels one of these years.

Blockquote

…this year would’ve been the year to do exactly that, and if this lineup is anything to go by, they won’t. In fact, this might be the year that officially kills it. Last year’s changes were understandable due to constraints, and the lineup wasn’t even half bad! But this is just … MEH.

1 Like

It’s a more underground lineup. idk, I recognize most of the names on it. but this is like the 3rd time Truth Club is playing lmao. there are other really good local bands who could’ve done better imo.

I mean, I recognize a handful of the “bigger” names on it… I’m just not really excited about any of them.

2 Likes

Almost… they actually dropped off 2019 last minute due to a mental health crisis - I know this because my last band moved up to their slot and we got a HUGE crowd because of it :rofl:

1 Like

damn lmao, I know they played a Day Party last year so maybe that’s what i’m thinking of

Yeah I know none of these bands. This is always right around my birthday, and I’ve never been because I never know anyone. Oh well. At least this year I’ll be in Europe pretending I’m @Francisco on an awesome trip! :grin:

3 Likes

I’m literally watching Courtney Barnett tonight! Of course she’s opening for Lucy Dacus. And I saw Perfume Genius open for Bloc Party.

Good acts, but odd headliner choices.

5 Likes